View Single Post
Old 2013-02-28, 03:45 PM   #64
Double_Rs
EJ18

Car: 2007 STI

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry View Post
Run as fast and as far away from Mobile 1 as possible. It's well documented that since the formula change they made a few years back that turbo Subaru motors burn it easily and like to have bearing failures.

Royal Purple and Red Line are the top two recommended oils, with Rotella T6 a great oil at a cheaper price. If you're not racing the car (or beating on it more than normal), I'd just go with the Rotella. But I just use whatever KSpeed has in stock since I decided to stop doing my own oil changes and started supporting the shop with whatever work I can send their way.

Right now, I have (mostly) Royal Purple in my Outback XT, Red Line in my WRX track car, and Rotella in my Miata (the Rotella is the recommended oil people use to avoid the dreaded lifter tick that the HLAs generate).
Woah thanks for the heads up. Obviously I haven't kept up with the oil news haha. But it seems like I'll be going with royal purple or rotella then. I'm interested in how it reduces the valvetrain tick (gonna research this brand a little more). Noob question, what are HLAs?
Double_Rs is offline   Reply With Quote