Old 2006-01-04, 03:53 PM   #16
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddub
The ground controls do seem like a good idea and I was looking into this. I wouldn't want to lower my car anymore than it is now without replacing the stock struts. I know it would ride like shit since the stock struts aren't designed to work with lowered setup.
If I got the ground control coilover kit with new struts, wouldn't that be the same thing as getting a set of coilovers. It seems like the groundcontrol coilover kit with adjustable struts would ride better than a full coilover set since the springs have a greater diameter.
The GC kit uses 2.5" ID springs, same as 90% of all coilover kits out there. The difference is that you're not getting them with the high rates that racing coilovers have, and they're high quality bits, unlike a lot of the cheaper coilovers on the market.

IMO you need a set of KYB AGX struts and the matching GC coilover conversion kit. They have a specific setup for the WRX on AGX's. Then you'll have a 4-step rebound adjustable, high quality strut, street springs that will handle much better than stock but not be too harsh, and height adjustment. And I believe you'll be in the $1000-$1200 range (I don't know the current price for AGX's, but they used to be around $600 for a set).

The only thing you'll be missing from a "true" coilover kit is the camber adjustment, which is frankly unnecessary on a street car, plus the pillow balls add a ton of NVH to the car which is annoying on the road.

Also, the ground control kits and eibach springs they use are very high quality. My WRX has a custom short-stroke Koni/GC setup with 500/450 eibach springs. It's stiff as hell, and harsh on the street, but handles great for a lot cheaper than something like Whiteline Group4's or Tein RA's, while maintaining equivalent quality (they're just not that pretty).