View Single Post
Old 2004-11-06, 11:53 PM   #5
Dean
Seņor Cheap Bastarde

Car: $.04 STI
Class: Fast,Cheap & Reliable=STI

Deal, did somebody say Deal? Oh, Dean, yeah that's me.

Oops, there are two different NEOs, and the price drop was not on the 610. This takes it back to $1.00 an ounce. Not worth it IMHO. I edited the original post..

Scott has a point, but I think you are more likely to waste more with the ATE, especially if all you want to do is bleed, not flush.

You can actually mail order the Ford fluid in metal botles if you want.

Anybody actually seen any science about brake fluid in plastic bottles. I just tried to find any hard science behind the claims, but couldn't find anything but hearsay. I admit plastic might be slightly more porous than tin, but I can only see that being an issue in an environment that changes temperature quite a bit. Probably not a huge fluctuation in an auto parts warehouse.

A 2-3 piece tin bottle might easily have an imperfect seal as well. I've seen aged unopened aluminum cans that no liquid left in them. Haven't sean any similar plastic bottles.

Let me be clear, I am not saying not to use ATE. I like ATE, and have used it for years in my Audis, including 50K+ miles, and 3500 or so track miles. I have also used the Ford fluid for probably 7000 track miles in 3 cars, and probably 80K+ on the road. They both have their advantages and disadvantages IMHO. Enumerating those differences was the purpose behind this thread. I haven't tried the Motul, but probably will just for the heck of it, even though it is significantly higher in price.