Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Car Enthusiast Forums > Technical Chat

Technical Chat Ask and answer technical car questions.

Old 2015-01-11, 12:08 PM   #1
SFVette
n00b

Car: 00 2.5rs, Past toys 94 Camaro, 00 Vette
Class: STS

If the tires don't rub they're not big enough
Default Back behind the wheel

So it's been a while since I've hit an Autocross or Track day but I'm back to have some fun. I've picked
up a 00 2.5rs and thinking of running in STS with it. All the other cars I've run have been V8 rear drive. So I'm looking for some suggestion on coilovers & tires. Lastly I saw some guys running in the Tuner class but could not find the rule set for it. I'd prefer to run with more guys as competition is way more fun then running by yourself.

Lucas
SFVette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-15, 07:17 PM   #2
MattR
El Matador

Car: 2012 Toyota Tacoma
Class: ?

Hey Lucas, glad to hear you'll be back next year. 16" wheels with a 225 or 235 tire would be a good start. Some of the Megan racing coil overs are great for the price, if you want to spend a little more, the KW's V2's are awesome. I would suggest a rear sway bar too.
Old 2015-01-15, 09:29 PM   #3
SFVette
n00b

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm really looking forward to getting back out. I've read some good things about the KW's but don't think they are in the budget with all the maintenance the car needs plus some of the smaller mods. It does an aftermarket rear swaybar already & I've sourced all full exhaust really cheap. Been watching some Enkei wheels on Craigslist but just can't pull the trigger as they are only 17x7.5 & I know I'll want wider which comes with a class change. What's the popular tire? I see the rules are changing to 200 tread wear this season so I'm sure it'll be a year of learning for all.
Old 2015-01-16, 08:01 AM   #4
MattR
El Matador

I know the Dunlop Star Specs and Hankooks are still the more popular choices from 2014.
Old 2015-02-10, 10:26 AM   #5
kwikside
n00b

Car: 03 WRX World Rally Blue

I know this is a little late, but as said the are KW V2s are nice. If you are looking at saving a little more money the KW V1s & the ST Suspensions coil overs are pretty good as well. The KW V1 & STs are pretty much the same, the only difference is the STs are Galvanized Steel & KW V1s are Stainless Steel, but the spring rates and adjustments are all the same. KW owns ST Suspensions and build the coil overs, the STs are normally about 30 to 50% cheaper than the v1s.
kwikside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-13, 10:34 AM   #6
A1337STI
EJ205

Car: Impreza and an Impreza
Class: AS / CRS PerfStock

"pedal on the right"

You're doing your mods in the very smart order, Handling first! which is rare to see and really the route you should stay on

though I've got some 1500 Grind Delta cams in 01 RS 2.5 heads that are up for sale ... $350 ish

and the Gorilla scoop mounted air intake Adds 10 Wheel hp and 4-5 TQ, and some throttle response . might have some Borla replica headers for sale too ...

I'm sponsored by Gorilla , btw... and your best best is to get the handling where you want it first, have fun, and decide if you want to spend any $$$ on Hp , which won't affect your times as much as coil overs & sways ...

but figured i'd offer them since i want to sell them, AND they would make your car a little bit more fun to autoX. it would be like a Twin victory ... ...

A1337STI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-15, 02:45 PM   #7
SFVette
n00b

Thanks for the suggestions on the ST coilovers kwikside. Right now I'm leaning towards BC coilovers as they have camber plates included.

Alex, I'm intrigued with the heads and cams. I was hoping to run in STS which won't let me change the cams but moving up just means I can run more rubber. What kind of shape are the heads in? I'm planning on pulling the engine next week so that I can reseal it with ease. Plus do the timing belt & water pump as I don't have any records of them changed yet & the car has 148k. Send me a PM with cost for heads/cams & air intake. I've already got full exhaust waiting.
Old 2015-04-02, 05:06 PM   #8
SFVette
n00b

So with season just a couple weeks away I need to get some numbers & class letters. I wanted to do the vinyl ones that can be removed & reused. After talking to a couple sign shops it seems they don't offer what they used to. Any suggestions on where to get some? I was hoping to match some vinyl wrap I've already done.
Old 2015-04-03, 06:59 AM   #9
MattR
El Matador

Lucas, I'm not sure about vinyl, but I bought magnets from Solo performance.com and they've been great.

There is a good vendor on ebay if you search for magnetic numbers, I don't recall the name.
Old 2015-04-03, 10:21 AM   #10
k-dogg39
Little Slugger

Car: 05 WRB STI Wagon/00 BRP GC Sedan
Class: 39 TSM

I'm not crazy, I'm just passionate!

I think soloperfirmance may also do vinyl as well.

I have bought from the seller grubbadub on ebay for just basic magnetic numbers too. They have worked well for me.
k-dogg39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-06, 08:51 AM   #11
cody
Candy Mountain

Car: 03 Pussy Wagon, now with more pink!
Class: TESP

OMG Internet!

You can buy magnetic "fabric" (same stuff magnetic numbers are made from) at a crafts store and then cut them with a box knife or similar. Mine look professional and all I did was print numbers on paper and then stencil-cut them. Not sure about vinyl.
Old 2015-04-13, 06:42 AM   #12
MattR
El Matador

Well... I'd say you got it sorted out pretty well, Lucas. Nice runs Sunday.
Old 2015-04-15, 10:10 AM   #13
SFVette
n00b

Thanks for the suggestions. I ordered some numbers from solo time they just didn't make it for Sunday.
You had some good runs your self Matt. It was great to be back out. Not sure how I stayed away. Can't wait till the next event.
Old 2019-06-05, 06:42 PM   #14
jerr02
n00b

Sounds like the Magnetic fabric still a good choice nowadays.
jerr02 is offline   Reply With Quote