Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat Talk about life in general...

Old 2014-08-22, 12:50 PM   #1
EMO
EJ22

Default My GC8 build

Well, to start off this is a car I have wanted since I was a kid. The GC8 body style has been one of my favorites since I started getting into cars. Now, I have had plenty of cars, but this is the first time I have actually been able to get a coupe of this body style. At the time I was building a 240sx convertible when a friend posted up his 1996 Suabru Impreza brighton with a forester 2.5l DOHC swap. After weeks of bugging him, and a few others, he finally agreed to trade me cars. The day I drove it back I was ecstatic, I had finally gotten one.

First thing I did was gut the holy hell out of it. Not exactly what most people would have done, but I had been building this car in my head for years, so I did not want to waste any time. I got all the interior and most sound proof crap out. Because of the 2.5l swap I could not get it to pass smog, so I drove it for the 30 day and had to park it. After a while it got sent to my parents back yard because I just didn't have the funds to start building it. A few months later I bought a 91 Subaru Legacy Sport. For those who don't know, that is the car that really put Subaru on the map for WRC Rally. Factory 2.2l closed deck, turbo flat four. The engine was way over built from the factory and only put out 160hp, but I had to buy it because it was so cheap. It needed a transmission and was automatic. So me and some friends pulled the 2.5l out of the Impreza so I could use the transmission from that and get the Legacy on the road. I also ended up selling the 2.5l. So here she was, my poor Impreza sitting in mud with no heart and looking sad.

After fighting with the Legacy and never getting it to run at 100% I decided to sell it. Now what to do with this money? Luckily my friends convinced me that I need to bring the Impreza out from my parents back yard and get it running again. So, we took a road trip to Venus-Auto in Sacramento, CA to pick up a GC8 WRX front clip. When we got there, the guy said he didn't have any GC8 clips, even though he told me the day before he had 2. He did however, have a 99 Subaru forester front clip. I looked it over and saw that they came with an EJ205, same as our 02-03 WRX, but these put out 250hp stock instead of the 215hp we got. So I decided to get that front clip and we brought it home. When we got it back to Carson City we noticed the clip had all these cool features we never got in the US. What did we do, we went ahead and stripped the front clip and swap all the RHD stuff into my Impreza. We were unsure how everything was going to fit, but we had seen other people do a RHD swap, so we could do it to.

The subaru got a huge makeover. She is now painted and converted to RWD.During the drift event I noticed my fuel lines were getting abnormally hot and my wideband was reading super lean. So after so input from friends I bought a deatschwerks 255lph pump and a fuel cooler to help with the temperature problem. I also installed my ASD hydraulic e-brake.

EMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-22, 08:04 PM   #2
MattR
El Matador

Car: 2012 Toyota Tacoma
Class: ?

That is a cool car, nice work.
Old 2014-08-23, 03:44 PM   #3
EMO
EJ22

Thank you kindly. Still have lots to do.
EMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-18, 03:40 PM   #4
A1337STI
EJ205

Car: Impreza and an Impreza
Class: AS / CRS PerfStock

"pedal on the right"

hell ya. way cool

A1337STI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-19, 10:39 AM   #5
cody
Candy Mountain

Car: 03 Pussy Wagon, now with more pink!
Class: TESP

OMG Internet!

Awesome build! Would love to hear more about the car as it sits, and better pics.