Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras

Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras (https://www.seccs.org/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic Chat (https://www.seccs.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   New Games Thread (https://www.seccs.org/forums/showthread.php?t=3800)

sperry 2007-09-06 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jesubi11 (Post 105203)
If it breaks they fix it, end of story. Jeremiah correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure this is the best free warranty that a system has ever had. But what do I know it's not like I work with them all day.

Unfortunately, that's not the "end of story". Turn around for repairs is purported to be longer than a month.

Which, along with the fact that MS had to extend their warranty to save face, indicates there is a real problem with the machines.

I'm not saying MS isn't taking care of things as best they can, and in fact better than other companies have under similar circumstances. But I don't for a second believe this issue is just people not taking care of their stuff.

And I figure, I've been holding out for a year and change for one, I can certainly wait 'till October/November to get a new one. The days of pining over video games are long past for me... the only thing I pine for now is enough free time to play the ones I've got... and when I get that time, I usually would rather take my GF to dinner or wrench on my car.

Jesubi11 2007-09-06 09:02 PM

I just accept failure as a part of owning video game systems now days. The ps2 was the same thing. When I bought mine I knew the odds of having it go bad were high. Same goes for the 360 for me. Not to mention I'm a sucker for racing sims.

wrxkidid 2007-09-06 09:24 PM

my bro has had his ps2 since it came out and its never crapped out. even after countless all-nighters.

My buddys 360 has never had problems but he never really uses it much.

Jesubi11 2007-09-06 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrxkidid (Post 105238)
my bro has had his ps2 since it came out and its never crapped out. even after countless all-nighters.

My buddys 360 has never had problems but he never really uses it much.

Same here

M3n2c3 2007-09-07 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jesubi11 (Post 105203)
If it breaks they fix it, end of story. Jeremiah correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure this is the best free warranty that a system has ever had. But what do I know it's not like I work with them all day.

Don't ask me, I don't work with the stuff anymore :lol:

But yeah, it's hands down the most accomodating warranty a console has ever been given.

I like MS overall. They have had some shitty business practices in regard to their interaction with other companies, but I've always liked their mice and keyboards (though I prefer Logitech), they make solid gaming accessories, I'm quite pleased with their gaming consoles, and I've always used Windows by choice. Oh, and I just got a Zune. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by sperry (Post 105205)
The days of pining over video games are long past for me... the only thing I pine for now is enough free time to play the ones I've got... and when I get that time, I usually would rather take my GF to dinner or wrench on my car.

I'm right there with you. . .

MikeK 2007-09-11 02:17 PM

HL2 Orange box is due out on october 10, if you preorder now you get access to the TF2 beta next monday!

Announcement: http://storefront.steampowered.com/S.../message/1189/

Some TF2 gameplay vids: http://www.totaltf2.com/general-news...ed-movies.html

Team Fortress Classic basically owned my life for 2 years straight before counter strike came out, I am sure TF2 will do the same.

Nick Koan 2007-09-11 02:40 PM

But I don't wanna pay for the orange box when I already have HL2 and HL2:Ep1.... :(

I'm guessing the a la carte "black box" won't get the beta next monday.

AtomicLabMonkey 2007-09-12 04:46 AM

Somehow I don't think I'm going to be that into gameplay where you can bunny-hop yourself around by shooting rockets at the ground beneath your feet.

100_Percent_Juice 2007-09-12 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtomicLabMonkey (Post 105487)
Somehow I don't think I'm going to be that into gameplay where you can bunny-hop yourself around by shooting rockets at the ground beneath your feet.

you obviously have no idea what your talking about. TFC was one of the best games of its time.

JonnydaJibba 2007-09-12 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeK (Post 105469)
HL2 Orange box is due out on october 10, if you preorder now you get access to the TF2 beta next monday!

Announcement: http://storefront.steampowered.com/S.../message/1189/

Some TF2 gameplay vids: http://www.totaltf2.com/general-news...ed-movies.html

Team Fortress Classic basically owned my life for 2 years straight before counter strike came out, I am sure TF2 will do the same.

What the motherfuck that link doesn't work! Well the link inside the link doesn't work!

M3n2c3 2007-09-12 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nKoan (Post 105472)
But I don't wanna pay for the orange box when I already have HL2 and HL2:Ep1.... :(

I'm guessing the a la carte "black box" won't get the beta next monday.

AFAIK the Black Box was canned. It's Orange only. I have HL2 and Ep1 already as well, but I'd be ok with paying $50 for the PC version - we're still getting Ep2, Portal, and TF2 out of it.

I'm getting the xb360 version, though. . . I'm interested in seeing the achievements, and I have more people on my list to play MP with. . . and it'll run quite a bit better than it does on my notebook :lol:

MikeK 2007-09-12 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonnydaJibba (Post 105490)
What the motherfuck that link doesn't work! Well the link inside the link doesn't work!

You need to have steam installed

M3n2c3 2007-09-12 08:23 AM

I don't check Steam very often, but I was just browsing the new stuff and noticed that they have all of id's games up, including Heretic and Quake for only $5 or $10 a pop. :disco:

Nick Koan 2007-09-12 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M3n2c3 (Post 105492)
AFAIK the Black Box was canned. It's Orange only. I have HL2 and Ep1 already as well, but I'd be ok with paying $50 for the PC version - we're still getting Ep2, Portal, and TF2 out of it.

I'm getting the xb360 version, though. . . I'm interested in seeing the achievements, and I have more people on my list to play MP with. . . and it'll run quite a bit better than it does on my notebook :lol:

Yeah, it was canned, but you are supposedly still able to buy only the new stuff off of steam for a lower price than $50.

NevadaSTi 2007-09-12 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonnydaJibba (Post 105041)
CoD4 Beta is awesome.

GRR! I am waiting for it to come out. Probably the only game I will buy for a while.

JonnydaJibba 2007-09-12 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeK (Post 105494)
You need to have steam installed

Wait so only PC users can get the beta? Teh lame..

Nick Koan 2007-09-12 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonnydaJibba (Post 105507)
Wait so only PC users can get the beta? Teh lame..

Yeah, Valve is one of the last companies dedicated to real gamers :p

M3n2c3 2007-09-12 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nKoan (Post 105508)
Yeah, Valve is one of the last companies dedicated to real gamers :p

Real gamers have it all.

AtomicLabMonkey 2007-09-12 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 100_Percent_Juice (Post 105489)
you obviously have no idea what your talking about. TFC was one of the best games of its time.

Whatever blows your whistle. I prefer something a little less high-schoolish.

100_Percent_Juice 2007-09-12 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtomicLabMonkey (Post 105518)
Whatever blows your whistle. I prefer something a little less high-schoolish.

like what? asteroids?

skimonkey30 2007-09-12 10:18 PM

Two weeks from the day I shipped out my old xbox360......

my new xbox360 is here! The letter that I got with it basically said "your old xbox was fucked so here is a new one" oh and for the trouble of being without a 360 for two weeks they included a one month free gold membership to xbox live! too bad I'm already a gold member :rolleyes:

sperry 2007-09-13 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 100_Percent_Juice (Post 105521)
like what? asteroids?

I think he means something like CounterStrike where when you're dead, you're dead, and it only takes one bullet to kill you. None of that "I'll just blow myself up and onto the roof with a rocket launcher 'cause it only reduces my health by 3 points" stuff.

Getting killed in TFC isn't easy and isn't a big deal. More realistic games have more drastic consequences when you screw up, and are therefore more intense.

AtomicLabMonkey 2007-09-13 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sperry (Post 105556)
I think he means something like CounterStrike where when you're dead, you're dead, and it only takes one bullet to kill you. None of that "I'll just blow myself up and onto the roof with a rocket launcher 'cause it only reduces my health by 3 points" stuff.

Getting killed in TFC isn't easy and isn't a big deal. More realistic games have more drastic consequences when you screw up, and are therefore more intense.

What he said.

JonnydaJibba 2007-09-13 01:35 PM

That's weird. For me, Counter-Strike was high school. Well only for like most of my Junior year, but that was the only game I'd play and I'd play A LOT. That fucking game has devoured months of my life.

100_Percent_Juice 2007-09-13 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sperry (Post 105556)

I knew what he was trying to say. conc jumping is just an aspect of that game. Its just like many car racing games, the NFS series has nitrous and you barely ever have to brake. Things like that determine a games difficulty and experience needed to play. It does not make it age specific. I mean how many people played tetris when that came out? Thats just stacking blocks so I guess it should have been in the toddler section.