Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras

Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras (https://www.seccs.org/forums/index.php)
-   Technical Chat (https://www.seccs.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Power steering cooler (https://www.seccs.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10295)

SFVette 2015-04-15 10:16 AM

Power steering cooler

Has anyone added a power steering cooler? I noticed my fluid and pump were not as happy as I would have liked.

sperry 2015-04-15 12:35 PM

What car? I thought there were a couple of versions of the STi that came with a steering cooler from the factory. Those coolers were on the high-pressure lines that ran behind the radiator, IIRC. They were basically just finned lines, not actual heat exchangers though.

An aftermarket cooler would have to go on the low-pressure side of the lines on the return to the reservoir. I'm not aware of any Subaru specific kits, but I wouldn't be terribly surprised if there was something out there. Certainly, running wide tires at the race track is taxing on the pump and fluid temps. I know my Miata used to blow power steering fluid all over the place at the track so often that I just gave up and removed the power steering entirely after replacing nearly everything in the system to no avail.

SFVette 2015-04-15 12:46 PM

The car is a 2000 Impreza with the 2.5, I figured the low pressure side would be the cheapest way. Trying judge a size that might work or even doing one with a fan. Haven't played with cooling power steering so looking for someone who may have.

sperry 2015-04-15 01:43 PM

Looks like the factory JDM cooler is like 200 bucks, not totally point and play, and not all that effective. Seems like just grabbing a decent core from Summit and some good rubber hose is the way to go.

A quick google search seems to suggest -6AN or 3/8" ID hose is the size to use. Just need to pick a core with that size inlet/outlet and hang it out in front of the radiator. Then plumb the hose between the return line and reservoir. Looks like there are plenty of tips on nasioc.

SFVette 2015-04-15 01:54 PM

Thanks for the info.

jerr02 2017-06-05 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sperry (Post 166016)
Looks like the factory JDM cooler is like 200 bucks, not totally point and play, and not all that effective. Seems like just grabbing a decent core from Summit and some good rubber hose is the way to go.

A quick google search seems to suggest -6AN or 3/8" ID hose is the size to use. Just need to pick a core with that size inlet/outlet and hang it out in front of the radiator. Then plumb the hose between the return line and reservoir. Looks like there are plenty of tips on nasioc.

I'll be needing this as well for the 2000 Impreza as hinted by previous owner, thank you! We will start working on the her right after we finished installing the Smittybilt parts on the current Jeep project.

sarahcox 2018-01-17 06:14 PM

Yes, thanx a lot for sharing this information

Fernando 2018-01-31 04:32 PM

I think that your Power Steering cooler is broken.