Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras

Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras (https://www.seccs.org/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic Chat (https://www.seccs.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Sperry Can Weld (https://www.seccs.org/forums/showthread.php?t=8922)

cody 2010-08-03 09:24 PM

Sperry Can Weld

4 Attachment(s)
Scott made me a racing seat on Saturday. It's super sweet.

sperry 2010-08-03 09:45 PM

Dude, that thing is totally pro looking now that it's painted! Semi-gloss black was definitely the right choice! I'm gonna have to paint mine now. :unamused:

Rumor is the Ace Hardware in Sparks has the plastic insert caps for 1" square tube. A couple or 8 of those would totally finish that thing. Plus perhaps some plain old stick-on rubber feet... not for the bottom... but for the back of the pedals so they don't scratch up the nice paint job, and so you protect the cord coming out the back. :cool:

Also, have you played anything with it yet? How's it work?

sybir 2010-08-03 10:06 PM

Scott, that's awesome.

khail19 2010-08-03 10:15 PM

Looks great, nice work Scott. Glad to see my old seats getting some use finally!

cody 2010-08-04 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sperry (Post 150977)
Dude, that thing is totally pro looking now that it's painted! Semi-gloss black was definitely the right choice! I'm gonna have to paint mine now. :unamused:

Rumor is the Ace Hardware in Sparks has the plastic insert caps for 1" square tube. A couple or 8 of those would totally finish that thing. Plus perhaps some plain old stick-on rubber feet... not for the bottom... but for the back of the pedals so they don't scratch up the nice paint job, and so you protect the cord coming out the back. :cool:

Also, have you played anything with it yet? How's it work?

IIRC, I actually ended up grabbing flat black, but I could be wrong. I know I was going back and forth between the two.

The paint job came out okay considering my lack of experience. One can was definitely cutting it close. The automotive primer seemed to work well. The surface is a little rough, probably from holding the sprayer too far from the surface while painting, but I'm totally happy with it.

I actually grabbed two of those endcaps from Ace on Virginia (just South of downtown) along with the missing wing nut yesterday. I put them down by the pedals, which is the only spot they'd be visible. Good call on the rubber feet. I think I have some actually.

It works great. I played a little Dirt 2 and some NFS Shift.

It's super comfy. I think we got it set perfect for me. A smaller person would probably want to shorten both the length (though that may not be necessary since the seat slider works great) and height but it's perfect for me. :cool:

MikeK 2010-08-04 08:55 AM

When will it be painted yellow?

Kevin M 2010-08-04 10:54 AM

And after that, more yellow?

AtomicLabMonkey 2010-08-04 04:02 PM

I approve this post. :disco:

ScottyS 2010-08-04 05:16 PM

Just eyeballing it, I would say you need some outriggers for the hard corners.

tysonK 2010-08-05 10:07 AM

It looks pro.

Sell them on ebay for double cost and labor!!

cody 2010-08-05 10:13 AM

Turns out that my pedals have a little pop out "comb" that keeps it from sliding on the rug. I was stoked to find that because it means I can place it anywhere behind the front bar of the frame and it will just stick there. :cool:

sperry 2010-08-05 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cody (Post 150999)
Turns out that my pedals have a little pop out "comb" that keeps it from sliding on the rug. I was stoked to find that because it means I can place it anywhere behind the front bar of the frame and it will just stick there. :cool:

That works for you? I've never had the pedals stay put with that carpet grabber thing.

sperry 2010-08-05 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tysonK (Post 150996)
It looks pro.

Sell them on ebay for double cost and labor!!

Even if I were building them in bulk, they take too long to make to be worth trying to sell. Plus, I'd have to come up with a clever way to make them disassemble for shipping. And then there's the issue with fitting a seat to them, since that's all custom made specifically for the seat being attached.

But I do like the idea of making some money from physically building something. There's something satisfying about that.

cody 2010-08-05 10:20 AM

Yah, I played NFS Shift for a couple hours last night and it stayed just fine.

I'm loving the setup, what with the surround sound, 50" plasma and the seat. My GF may leave me, but it's worth it. :p

sperry 2010-08-05 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cody (Post 151002)
Yah, I played NFS Shift for a couple hours last night and it stayed just fine.

I'm loving the setup, what with the surround sound, 50" plasma and the seat. My GF may leave me, but it's worth it. :p

If she didn't leave you after you started calling your car the "pussy wagon", I don't think the video game chair is going to send her running.

Unless I guess it's the straw that broke the camel's back.

cody 2010-08-05 01:22 PM

Hey, I didn't make the pussy wagon magnet. I just put it on my car (until Kevin M. told me to stop). :lol: