Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras

Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras (https://www.seccs.org/forums/index.php)
-   Motorsports Chat (https://www.seccs.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   2/12 track worker school at infineon (https://www.seccs.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2660)

Kevin M 2005-01-25 01:12 AM

2/12 track worker school at infineon

Is anybody else hoping to attend this? Those of you that went last year, what was the cost? Who do I see about getting signed up?

sperry 2005-01-25 09:36 AM

IIRC the cost is either free to SCCA members, or Reno Region paid for some of us to go last year.

I'm not sure who's organizing the event for Reno this year, but I'll bet Dean or Debbie know about it... or maybe even Matt since he went to the last RenoSCCA meeting.

The event is cool, but can also be boring. The classroom part of it is pretty dry... I remember Matt falling asleep and knocking over his glass iced tea bottle and scaring himself awake. :lol: The actual "training" is pretty fun, but long. We broke into groups around their mock track and delt with several incidents, like a car off course that needs a tow, or a racing wreck response, and the final scenario was putting out a car fire.

The wierd thing about the event is that it's not really structured for beginners to learn. It's more of a refresher deal for those people who are going to be working events in the coming season. In fact, there really is no way for beginners to learn Flagging and Communications... essentially, you show up at the event to help, and they stick you with someone that's experienced and you learn by doing. This "training" is essentially that, minus the actual race, you just hop in a group and learn by trying it. Just keep in mind that you will only get out of it what you put into it... so if you go, make sure to take the flags at a corner, or take the radio at a corner, and give it a whirl. You'll probably screw something up, but that's how you learn.

MattR 2005-01-25 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sperry
... I remember Matt falling asleep and knocking over his glass iced tea bottle and scaring himself awake. :lol:

Damn, I thought nobody saw that. That sucked. hahaha. I am going to have to skip the event this year, I have plans that day. I think it would be good if some people went though...kind of gives you an idea of what goes on for corner working, etc...

sperry 2005-01-25 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattR
Quote:

Originally Posted by sperry
... I remember Matt falling asleep and knocking over his glass iced tea bottle and scaring himself awake. :lol:

Damn, I thought nobody saw that. That sucked. hahaha. I am going to have to skip the event this year, I have plans that day. I think it would be good if some people went though...kind of gives you an idea of what goes on for corner working, etc...

Matt, I think that bottle woke up like 10 other sleeping people. :lol:

I'm probably not going either... but I'm no good at planning my weekends that far in advance, so I might change my mind if nothing better is going on.

Dean 2005-01-25 02:06 PM

I'm thinking about going, but will probably try out timing and scoring instead of Flagging & Communication.

Kevin M 2005-02-07 05:53 PM

Bump... this weekend. Anybody else willing to go? Nick I talked to you about it recently.. still interested?

Nick Koan 2005-02-07 05:55 PM

"Still interested" seems to be a liberal intrepretation of my desire to go.

Kevin M 2005-02-07 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nKoan
"Still interested" seems to be a liberal intrepretation of my desire to go.

:lol: My interpretation was baed on your lack of something better to do. :P

MattR 2005-02-07 10:21 PM

I'm gonna sit it out this year. Have fun.

dknv 2005-02-07 11:20 PM

I thought it was interesting. After i did this school day last year, I worked with F&C at turn 11 at t-hill during the Double National race - and must say it's the BEST seat in the house.

BOO 2005-02-07 11:51 PM

Just dont forget your sunblock/lip balm with spf 30 :lol:

Kevin M 2005-02-08 12:06 AM

Meh, since interest is so staggeringly high, and apparently the "training" isn't really that helpful, I'm gonna skip it. I might go to Sac for the meet anyway, if somebody wants to tag along.