Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras

Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras (https://www.seccs.org/forums/index.php)
-   Technical Chat (https://www.seccs.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   STi endlinks (DUH!) (https://www.seccs.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5218)

NevadaSTi 2006-11-08 12:46 PM

STi endlinks (DUH!)

I somehow busted the driver's side rear swaybar endlink and bent the other side. OOPS. I got a price for the stock ones at $111.05 each. OUCH.

So, here is my question. What class would I have to run if I replaced the stock endlinks with some perrin or cusco endlinks? I don't think they would give me a handling advantage, except for the fact that maybe I wouldn't break an endlink during an autocross event.

Kevin M 2006-11-08 12:56 PM

They definitely give you a handling advantage unfortunately. You're stuck with stock links, but you should be able to find some secondhand easily enough.

NevadaSTi 2006-11-08 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BAN SUVS
you should be able to find some secondhand easily enough.

Anyone got any then?

sperry 2006-11-08 01:20 PM

BTW: the '05+ STI endlinks are actually very good solid endlinks. They just tend to be the weak link in the suspension and bend under frequent hard use.

Dean 2006-11-08 02:09 PM

Rear endlinks put you in SP.

Kevin M 2006-11-08 02:13 PM

So do fronts.

Dean 2006-11-08 02:22 PM

Quote:

So do fronts.

No, they don't. Front Sway bars, and endlinks are legal in stock.

Kevin M 2006-11-08 02:50 PM

I just checked the rulebook; endlinks are not mentioned.

13.7.A For front anti-roll (sway) bars:
1. Substitution, addition or removal of any front anti-roll bars is permitted.
2. Substitution, addition or removal of anti-roll bars may serve no other purpose than that of an anti-roll bar.
3. The use of any bushing material is permitted.
4. No modification to the body, frame, or other components to accomodate anti-roll bar addition or substitution is allowed, except for the drilling of holes for mounting bolts. Non-standard lateral members which connect between the brackets for the bar are not permitted.

Unless there was a FastTrack somewhere this season that added them, endlinks are not mentioned and are therefore not eligible for modification in Stock classes. I have heard that mounts are considered part of the sway bar, perhaps that's what you are thinking of?

sperry 2006-11-08 03:09 PM

Quote:

3. The use of any bushing material is permitted.

Stocks always allowed an unlimited front swaybar and the endlinks are considered part of the bar.

Kevin M 2006-11-08 03:21 PM

13.7.A.3 would permit replacement of the bushings in the endlink, but not the use of Perrin/Whiteline etc. complete links, unless there's been a clarification or FasTrack somewhere along the way that says so. While I would agree that allowing sway bars should also include endlnks to be changed, I don't interpret the rule to do so the way it's worded in the 2006 rulebook .pdf.

Dean 2006-11-08 03:31 PM

Endlinks are part of the swaybars. Have been forever from a rules perspective.

Kevin M 2006-11-08 03:36 PM

Alrighty then, if you guys say so.

MattR 2006-11-08 09:37 PM

I'm running stock rear endlinks with the bar set on soft...pretty much the best feel I've had from the rear bar. Bummer you bent yours, that's usually a product of having a lot of travel

100_Percent_Juice 2006-11-08 09:48 PM

I like to travel

A1337STI 2006-11-09 12:22 PM

Bummer, :(

I'm a bit shocked. I'de think if anyone would break suspension bits on their STI it would be me.

oh also STU allows you to change suspension bits, but its a horrible PAX for the STI compared to TBSP/ BSP

sperry 2006-11-09 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A1337STI

I'm a bit shocked. I'de think if anyone would break suspension bits on their STI it would be me.

oh also STU allows you to change suspension bits, but its a horrible PAX for the STI compared to TBSP/ BSP

It's not all that shocking. I would say that nearly every single SECCS STI that's been tracked has bent their stock endlinks. They're (intentionally) the weak point in the suspension. They work fine though until they fail... i.e. they're not soft plastic w/ rubber bushings. They're solid endlinks with spherical bearings, so they have great feedback, but if you hit a curb too hard at the track, they bend. Or if you lower the car, you're almost guarenteed to bend 'em over the control arm.

Also, in T/BSP, front and rear swaybars are unlimited. This is only a problem for the T/AS folks.

A1337STI 2006-11-09 03:57 PM

Aaaah. makes sense.

qksubi 2006-11-09 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A1337STI

I have gone through two sets end links I use perrin now!

NevadaSTi 2006-11-13 02:14 PM

Well, the dealership is going to see if they can replace them under my warranty. I have figured pout how I busted them. It happened when I drove into a drive was with a drainage curb in it. It made a bang sound which I thought was my recently replaced strut. It happened again a couple weeks later when I drove into the AM PM Arco gas station on the north side of carson city.

After that I was wondering why my car felt so loose. o_O I didn't even notice the problem until I was changing out rims so that I could swap snow tires.

Kevin M 2006-11-13 02:37 PM

You mean the car was pushing. ;) Broken endlinks make your car less loose...

Joeyy 2006-11-13 03:45 PM

Yep, and the ski jump at Squaw had nothing to do with it. Ha

NevadaSTi 2006-11-14 03:14 PM

I mean lose as in my back end rolls more.

Kevin M 2006-11-14 03:20 PM

Ah, you're right then.

and by "right" I mean "totally not using that word for what that means. " :p

MikeK 2006-11-14 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NevadaSTi
I mean lose as in my back end rolls more.

Quote:

and by "right" I mean "totally not using that word for what that means. " :p

and by "that word" you mean "loose" ;)

Kevin M 2006-11-14 03:54 PM

I give the benefit of the doubt for typos; I won't throw that particular stone from my glass house. :p