Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras

Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras (https://www.seccs.org/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic Chat (https://www.seccs.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Got an offer on my car! (https://www.seccs.org/forums/showthread.php?t=3899)

Bob Danger 2005-11-21 12:07 PM

Got an offer on my car!

4,500 for my Corolla, I wasn't planning on selling it but I don't think I can pass it up. What do you guys think? I'll need a replacement before next season, any suggestions?

Dean 2005-11-21 12:55 PM

A CSP/ITS race ready RX-7 with trailer $2300... Could use a fresh engine, but runs.

sperry 2005-11-21 01:27 PM

I think Bob needs a daily driveable car...

And that's a pretty decent offer I guess... though I don't know the market for those cars. But on the otherhand, that little Corolla is awesome!

How much do turbo Starion/Conquests go for? That's my 80's car flavor of the month right now. Plus the Eclipse motor is supposed to be a pretty easy drop in. :devil:

Dean 2005-11-21 01:29 PM

Oh, I assumed he had a DD based on the "before next season" comment.

Bob Danger 2005-11-21 02:14 PM

I've got 3 cars right now. My 90 Ford Probe, 85 Corolla GT-S, and the 88 Corolla FX-16. The Probe and the FX run.

My first car was an RX-7, I loved it. It was the biggest POS. Ask Tim he hated that car. I have a soft spot in my heart for Rotaries, although I don't have a truck. It would be wise to stay away from non-streetable cars. An RX-7 would be high on my list, I'd like a 91 RX-7 Turbo 2.

sperry 2005-11-21 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Danger
I've got 3 cars right now. My 90 Ford Probe, 85 Corolla GT-S, and the 88 Corolla FX-16. The Probe and the FX run.

My first car was an RX-7, I loved it. It was the biggest POS. Ask Tim he hated that car. I have a soft spot in my heart for Rotaries, although I don't have a truck. It would be wise to stay away from non-streetable cars. An RX-7 would be high on my list, I'd like a 91 RX-7 Turbo 2.

A 2nd Gen RX-7 would be a sweet choice. I've never had one, but always wanted one. Not so sure about a turbo rotory though... sure they're cooler and faster than the N/A versions, but that's a real "pay to play" car, considering how unreliable they can be.

Talk to Murphy on the board here, he's a '7 guy... he might have some resources to help you find a decent Mazda.

Dean 2005-11-21 03:01 PM

'94-'97 Miata... Then you can beat on Kevin. Actually, bang for your buck, there isn't much more fun than a Miata. Find a LS, or LE with ABS and LSD if you can and have a blast.

sperry 2005-11-21 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean
'94-'97 Miata... Then you can beat on Kevin. Actually, bang for your buck, there isn't much more fun than a Miata. Find a LS, or LE with ABS and LSD if you can and have a blast.

Just make sure you can afford the conversion to a spec miata, or be able to take the gay jokes. ;)

Pat R. 2005-11-21 04:05 PM

I've got my eye on an '87 MR2 that has been stripped and caged.

Kevin M 2005-11-21 04:21 PM

$4500 for a car that doesn't run? You're crazy if you pass that up.

Anyways, for the new project car, Miatas are definitely a great bang for your buck. I got an M edition in great shape, with hardtop, for $6000. $3500 will bu you a '90-'93 in pretty good shape. All you need to hit the track are tires and wheels and a roll cage. But modding them is pretty cheap. If you do springs and shocks instead of coilovers, you can have a new suspension for under $600. But don't worry about Spec Miata unless you plan to go race. A CSP Miata is faster and cheaper. Plus, there's no turbo SMs. ;)

NevadaSTi 2005-11-21 04:41 PM

Or there is a Triump Spitfire down the street from me for sale. I could take a look, if you are interested?

Dean 2005-11-21 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NevadaSTi
Or there is a Triump Spitfire down the street from me for sale. I could take a look, if you are interested?

There you go. Slap a rottary in that sucker, and go after the Riggses...

NevadaSTi 2005-11-21 05:25 PM

I looked, they only want $3950 for it.

Kevin M 2005-11-21 08:20 PM

Yeah, let's keep suggesting that he get a reliable, relatively economical project car... and then suggest a British roadster with a rotary swap!

:brill:

Libila 2005-11-21 09:59 PM

Bobby's old RX-7 was a heap, and it was purple.

In all honesty dood, I think you should get an Impreza L or a Honda. Something reliable and cheap. Use the other Corrola for the "fun" car.

Finish my bug.