Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras

Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras (https://www.seccs.org/forums/index.php)
-   Technical Chat (https://www.seccs.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   So I bought a CBE exhaust... (https://www.seccs.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9817)

Jeikun 2012-06-14 08:35 AM

So I bought a CBE exhaust...

And I was wondering what all was needed and where to find it.

I purchased an HKS Carbon-Ti off of someone on NASIOC and I have a pretty good idea of what parts I'll need but not sure where to source it.

I know that'll need a 3 in. gasket for the dp to the midpipe, but I'm not sure if I'll need one from the midpipe to the axelback. Do I just buy any old 3'' flat gasket? And how many would I need? Where would I find one locally? I can only find this gasket from grimmspeed from rallysportdirect.com.

I also know that there may be an issue with the bolts to connect the dp to the midpipe and I may need a bigger bolt. Can anyone confirm this? If I do, will something like this work?

Should I worry about any kind of exhaust hangers? If I do need them, should I get the extra long ones or should I wait to install it to figure out if I need any hangers at all?

Other than that, it seems pretty straight forward. Remove old exhaust, install new exhaust, ?????, profit.

WRX06TR 2012-06-14 11:51 AM

Do you have a downpipe? I believe the HKS is a 3 inch exhaust that doesn't taper at the downpipe so you may have a fitment issue. And the stock downpipe uses a donut gasket so a regular 3 inch gasket won't work, but you will need the 3 inch gasket for the mid pipe and axel back section.

Double Phister 2012-06-14 12:08 PM

The extra long exhaust hangers never made any sense to me. If you need then the exhaust system doesn't fit. Not sure why people would buy a system that doesn't fit.

Jeikun 2012-06-14 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WRX06TR (Post 161611)
Do you have a downpipe? I believe the HKS is a 3 inch exhaust that doesn't taper at the downpipe so you may have a fitment issue. And the stock downpipe uses a donut gasket so a regular 3 inch gasket won't work, but you will need the 3 inch gasket for the mid pipe and axel back section.

Interesting. I didn't think of that as an issue. You're right that it's 3 inches and that it doesn't taper.

I've done some google searches and found that about half say that it won't fit on the stock dp and half that will fit on the stock dp. If it doesn't end up fitting on the stock dp, I'll buy a downpipe, but that would also mean a tune, right? I've found posts that say I can use the stock donut gasket, others that say that they had to use a regular 3 inch gasket... I guess I'll have to wait and see when I go to install? It couldn't hurt to have both I suppose.

WRX06TR 2012-06-14 01:48 PM

Yeah if you replace the downpipe you need a tune.

You may have to play with the gaskets and see what works best. The problem with the OEM downpipe and the 3in exhaust is that will have a small pipe leading into the bigger midpipe (and I can't remember if the bolts will line up). In the pic below the OEM downpipe is on the right. The donut gasket may provide a better seal but if it sits too loosely the 3in gasket would be better.

http://blog.edoperformance.com/wp-co...4710-small.jpg

100_Percent_Juice 2012-06-14 01:52 PM

I would wait until you can get a dp.

Jeikun 2012-06-15 09:52 AM

A DP and a tune is definitely the next step after a boost gauge

Through my research, I've found that I shouldn't have any problems going smaller-> piping but I will need to play with the gaskets to get it to fit.

sperry 2012-06-15 11:48 AM

On an unrelated note: Jake, I saw your old Impreza hatch at the ice cream place last night. Some young girl was driving it.

Jeikun 2012-06-17 12:18 PM

Ahaha. Awesome! I was afraid that it got shipped somewhere across the united states. Or scrapped. I'm glad it lives on!