Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras

Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras (https://www.seccs.org/forums/index.php)
-   Technical Chat (https://www.seccs.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Engine response (https://www.seccs.org/forums/showthread.php?t=8912)

Charlie 2010-07-28 01:15 PM

Engine response

I'm not quite sure how to explain this but here is the best way I can think of to try and explain it. It's a 2002 wrx wagon and from the time that I bought it about four months ago. Within the last two weeks I'v noticed that their is a growing gap of time from when I give it gas to when I feel the engine respond. It's like I floor it the tach shoots up to where I expect it to go instantly and then nothing happens for about a second or two which seems to be alot more than time than when I bought it. Thanks for any tips their all appreciated.

sperry 2010-07-28 01:33 PM

Sounds like you're describing plain old turbo lag with an automatic transmission. Not sure why there might be a longer lag now though. Perhaps just the ECU responding to hot ambient temps? Maybe the car saw some knock on a bad tank of gas and the advance multiplier is down in part of the power band?

100_Percent_Juice 2010-07-28 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlie (Post 150830)
I'v noticed that their is a growing gap of time from when I give it gas to when I feel the engine respond. It's like I floor it the tach shoots up to where I expect it to go instantly and then nothing happens for about a second or two which seems to be alot more than time than when I bought it. Thanks for any tips their all appreciated.

When you say "when I feel the engine respond", do you mean when the car starts to move forward from a stop?

Charlie 2010-07-28 05:16 PM

I'm not sure about how it does at a stop and then starting to move because I already need to replace the clutch. I was talking about like cruising down the highway at like three thousand rpm then give it more gas and it doesn't respond for a second or two. Thanks for all your guy's help.

WRX06TR 2010-07-28 05:18 PM

Definitely sounds like clutch if your tach is climbing and nothing is happening.

100_Percent_Juice 2010-07-28 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WRX06TR (Post 150850)
Definitely sounds like clutch if your tach is climbing and nothing is happening.

Definitely.

swr999 2010-07-28 08:41 PM

Manual transmission? Slipping clutch. You'll notice it more in higher gears. Replacing it is the fix.

sperry 2010-07-28 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WRX06TR (Post 150850)

I just assumed it was an automatic.

100_Percent_Juice 2010-07-29 06:43 AM

Charlie. Is this what you are seeing?

Charlie 2010-07-29 09:31 PM

Thats pretty much exactly it just not as bad. Thanks for all the help guys. In that case any suggestions on a good clutch for autocross? I didn't even think of looking for videos on you tube.

100_Percent_Juice 2010-07-29 09:44 PM

Exedy Stage 1 is a pretty awesome clutch IMO. If thats the way you decide to go, I can tell you from experience that you can get the best deal locally. Also, you can get it installed fast at KSpeed.

bigrobwoot 2010-07-30 04:48 AM

Where did you get it cheap locally? And how much was it?

Dean 2010-07-30 06:33 AM

Clutch may just be glazed... A couple good 3000 RPM slipping launches will either re-bed it or confirm the worn out clutch.

You have to get it warm enough to smell to bed it back in. No need to smoke it though.

100_Percent_Juice 2010-07-30 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigrobwoot (Post 150875)
Where did you get it cheap locally? And how much was it?

The cheapest place I found it online (at the time) was Gruppe-S. Then you have to figure in the cost of either getting a new LW flywheel or resurfacing the stock one. Reno Clutch and Brake quoted me a price when I came in that was very close to Gruppe-s. RC&B will also resurface your flywheel for free if you buy the clutch from them. This made the price almost identical if not a little cheaper than online.

bluestreak 2010-07-30 07:47 AM

I've had 2 of the Spec Stage 2 clutches and been very happy with them - the first one survived 45k+ miles with very aggressive driving and hundreds of high rpm launches. They are very streetable too. I will be getting a third when I need it.

http://www.jscspeed.com/catalog/Suba...ubaru_WRX.html

BTW, sorry if I jack the thread, but how much life are people getting out of their clutches? - Ive averaged about 45-50K out of mine

bigrobwoot 2010-07-30 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 100_Percent_Juice (Post 150878)
The cheapest place I found it online (at the time) was Gruppe-S. Then you have to figure in the cost of either getting a new LW flywheel or resurfacing the stock one. Reno Clutch and Brake quoted me a price when I came in that was very close to Gruppe-s. RC&B will also resurface your flywheel for free if you buy the clutch from them. This made the price almost identical if not a little cheaper than online.

I got a LWFW when I got my last clutch. I'll keep that in mind when I need to replace my clutch again tho.

cody 2010-07-30 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 100_Percent_Juice (Post 150874)
Exedy Stage 1 is a pretty awesome clutch IMO. If thats the way you decide to go, I can tell you from experience that you can get the best deal locally. Also, you can get it installed fast at KSpeed.

That's what I have and it seemed identicle to stock (I think it is the same as OEM actually). I'm going to try something a little bit more aggressive next time since sometimes on a launch it will keep slipping after I've completely taken my foot of the clutch. I need something that can handle the power of a stage 2 2.0L. :lol:

100_Percent_Juice 2010-07-30 11:18 AM

IIRC the disc material is the same but, the pressure plate is beefier.

M3n2c3 2010-07-30 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluestreak (Post 150879)
BTW, sorry if I jack the thread, but how much life are people getting out of their clutches? - Ive averaged about 45-50K out of mine

61,000 + miles on my original stock clutch and still going :oops: