Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras

Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras (https://www.seccs.org/forums/index.php)
-   User Classifieds (https://www.seccs.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Wanted: Bicycle parts and/or shop recomendation (https://www.seccs.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9978)

Dean 2013-02-01 08:05 PM

Wanted: Bicycle parts and/or shop recomendation

Looking for some parts or a recommendation for a local shop that doesn't rape you, especially on the small parts. Rebuilding a friend's bike who can't really afford gas right now and shipping kills buying the little parts on-line.

Lost since her Ex disassembled it. :rolleyes:
Quick release skewer spring
Shorty cable housing for rear derailleur.
Brake cable housing end cap/ferrule.
Bottom Bracket cable guide.

Parts that "wandered off" previously :(
Seat/saddle: Comfort/touring preferred, but any adult saddle works.
Seat Post: 27.2mm
Non quick release seat post clamp.

WRXlerate 2013-02-01 08:38 PM

Sierra Cyclesmith was friendly and didn't even charge me to true a wheel, never have purchased from them though.
Bicycle Bananas also friendly, had a frame repaired under warranty, never purchased from them either.
I'd stay away from Great Basin, the 2 douches behind the counter were rude and not helpful at all.
Jensonusa.com has free shipping over $50 and it sounds like you have maybe that much in parts. Shop the sale tab for better deals ;)
Local bike shops might still charge more for that stuff than you would have to spend even after shipping.

GusGus91 2013-02-02 12:11 AM

Try Bicycle Banannas. Or if you're looking to go real cheap and dont mind used parts, Reno Bike Project has a ton of new and used parts and are pretty helpful.

cody 2013-02-04 09:03 AM

Kail's brother really helped me out at Reno Bike Project when I was looking for a mtn bike. I forget his name of course though. Worth a call to see what they have though.

khail19 2013-02-04 07:45 PM

Khail's brother is named Casey. :)

I know he has several other jobs now, but I think he still is at the Bike Project from time to time.

cody 2013-02-05 07:59 AM

That's right. Thanks, Khail!

norbeaster 2013-02-27 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WRXlerate (Post 163089)
I'd stay away from Great Basin, the 2 douches behind the counter were rude and not helpful at all.

Don't know who you talked to but I'm sorry to hear that. I've worked at Great Basin for the past 6 years and have been a professional mechanic for 10+... I don't think I've ever heard this type of comment said about our shop unless there was a huge misunderstanding... that being said, it's old news, and once again, I'm sorry.

Dean,
You've helped me out with the computers big time in the past, I have most of this stuff on hand at home and would be more than willing to help out. Let me know and we can get everything squared away for you.

Double_Rs 2013-02-28 11:37 AM

I've had great experience with Great Basin when I was first starting out. I went for a visit to look at their stock road bikes and the mechanic (I think) that greeted us was friendly and prompt to ask us if we needed any help. He then showed me around their showroom and even answered some of my noob cycling questions.

Bicycle Bananas is a great as well. Helpful guys if you need maintenance done or parts. That's where I got fitted for my bike and the workers were helpful about it even though I didn't buy anything.

Dean 2013-03-01 08:11 AM

Still looking for an oddball Specialized bottom bracket cable guide, but otherwise taken care of.

I am actually volunteering at the The Kiwanis Bike Program which is a great place to get parts and bikes for cheap and a great community project. They give bikes to underprivileged kids, do safe riding programs with schools and have an "Earn A Bike" program for college students and others where your volunteer time goes towards a used bike.

They also have fully stocked work spaces where you can work on your own bike and get help to learn how to fix it yourself if you don't know how.

It is also THE PLACE to pickup a bike for Burning Man! Playa bikes are $20-$50 and they have a thousand or so.

Reno Bike Project is out there too and doing good stuff, but to me, it has more of a feel of a commercial entity than a community, but also a good place for used parts/bikes.

ScottyS 2013-03-01 11:55 AM

I got my current commuter from that program - a 1982 Nishiki touring model.

norbeaster 2013-03-01 07:05 PM

Kiwanas is a great program, I have done a good amount of volunteer work there myself. I would much rather support them than the Bike Project as it's "all about the kids" with the Kiwanas.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean (Post 163292)
Still looking for an oddball Specialized bottom bracket cable guide, but otherwise taken care of.

Solid housing from shifter to derailleur and you're golden. Run it above the bottom bracket on the drive side and snug it up to the seat tube with a zip-tie so it doesn't interfere with the drive train... Then just run it along the chain stays and down-tube with a few more zip-ties and you're set. (can be neatly done if you get fancy with your zip-tie work)

It's not hack work by any means, many MTB guys opt for this style of routing as opposed to spit cables so no crap and corrosion get into the lines, especially in wet regions.

Dean 2013-03-01 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by norbeaster (Post 163300)
Solid housing from shifter to derailleur and you're golden. Run it above the bottom bracket on the drive side and snug it up to the seat tube with a zip-tie so it doesn't interfere with the drive train... Then just run it along the chain stays and down-tube with a few more zip-ties and you're set. (can be neatly done if you get fancy with your zip-tie work)

It's not hack work by any means, many MTB guys opt for this style of routing as opposed to spit cables so no crap and corrosion get into the lines, especially in wet regions.

That might work, but of course there is a housing end lug right before the bottom bracket so it would look wonky to go around that. Will have to look at the derailleur to see if it will even take a housing end.