Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras

Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras (https://www.seccs.org/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic Chat (https://www.seccs.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Where to go for shooting a pistol (https://www.seccs.org/forums/showthread.php?t=6508)

eggeegg 2007-12-22 03:46 PM

Where to go for shooting a pistol

I heard there are no indoor ranges here anymore and I know of a shooting range off Damonte. Any place else that's ideal to shoot a pistol? For handguns, isn't there some law that you have to be a mile away from congested area to fire? I would think someone firing a gun a mile away from a house on the edge of town would still make people uncomfortable. Is there a website where I can get such info for this area?

Bob Danger 2007-12-22 04:57 PM

East of Carson up by the dump, that's the only place I know of.

moose 2007-12-22 05:20 PM

If you go behind Rattle Snake Mountain and go right on the main dirt road. then after about mile, there is a shooting range.

Bob Danger 2007-12-22 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moose (Post 111874)
If you go behind Rattle Snake Mountain and go right on the main dirt road. then after about mile, there is a shooting range.

You can't shoot pistols there.

M3n2c3 2007-12-22 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Danger (Post 111880)
You can't shoot pistols there.

Why don't they allow firing pistols?

Bob Danger 2007-12-23 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M3n2c3 (Post 111882)
Why don't they allow firing pistols?

It's Sage Hill Clay Sports.

wrxkidid 2007-12-23 12:19 AM

so only shotguns??? The only place I have been is the one in Carson...

left footed whooten 2007-12-23 04:56 PM

Out by Boca and stampede there is a range.

NevadaSTi 2007-12-23 07:47 PM

Wahoe County Shooting Range, on Pyramid Highway. About 26 miles out of Spanish Springs. Other then that, I drive up into the hills behind Spanish Springs.

Have fun, and safe shooting.

dustinr 2008-01-01 09:36 PM

Shooting place...

I80 East towards Fernley; get off on exit 36 and cross north back over I80 and when the pavement ends go straight through the fence and follow the dirt road back maybe 1/2 mile and you'll find a big pit where a lot of people have been shooting for years.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Fernle...wloc=addr&om=1

(cust and paste this into browser if it doesn't work)

eggeegg 2008-01-02 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Danger (Post 111872)
East of Carson up by the dump, that's the only place I know of.

I've ended up going here a couple times. I like how there are big mounds of dirt between some of the shooting areas to help block the wind as well as you don't have to worry about people on the other side shooting near you and vice versa.

ScottyS 2008-01-02 11:58 AM

You weren't there on Sat, were you? I was at the regular rifle range testing an A.I. for a friend and my buddy sees a modded white WRX go by and says "every time I think about getting an Impreza, I see one all teened out and decide I don't want that image". Haha, then he makes some comment about CRX owners having a boycott on showers.....

eggeegg 2008-01-02 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottyS (Post 112216)
You weren't there on Sat, were you? I was at the regular rifle range testing an A.I. for a friend and my buddy sees a modded white WRX go by and says "every time I think about getting an Impreza, I see one all teened out and decide I don't want that image". Haha, then he makes some comment about CRX owners having a boycott on showers.....

i was there Sat. morning until 1030ish. maybe the rally pig sticker and wheels make it look teened out?

moose 2008-01-02 12:52 PM

If you want some where else, go I-80 east to the Lockwood exit and follow it to the Mine dump or whatever it is.At about 300yds before the entrance of the dump, there is a dirt road it's kinda rough at first, so thats how you know it will be the right road. Follow it for 1/2 mile or so. When you get there there will be forks in the road on the left side and there will also be a mountain of gravel on the left.

ScottyS 2008-01-02 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eggeegg (Post 112217)
i was there Sat. morning until 1030ish. maybe the rally pig sticker and wheels make it look teened out?

So it was you. Nah, from where we were all you could see was tint, shiny lips, and melon shooter. Have any luck with shooting? Those bays are pretty nice for pistol/carbine work.

eggeegg 2008-01-02 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottyS (Post 112224)
So it was you. Nah, from where we were all you could see was tint, shiny lips, and melon shooter. Have any luck with shooting? Those bays are pretty nice for pistol/carbine work.

It was cold and windy but bearable. That morning there was frost sprinkled on the path to the range so I misjudged one of the many potholes. I was sure I damaged a front strut but currently all seems good...so far.

It was pretty fun. We had a frozen turkey to shoot at as well as some steal plates and tennis balls. Went through 250 Wal-mart .40 bullets ($60) that morning. Kind of an expensive hobby.

ScottyS 2008-01-03 12:13 PM

Good deal, that road can get trashed for sure. No kidding on the expensive!

Wait, were you shooting at some stainless water tank plates? Some guys brought them over to the rifle range later and we took some shots at them with the .223....crazy.

eggeegg 2008-01-03 12:44 PM

Ya we gave those away to the guys next to us. Our pistols couldn't penetrate them but I think the rifles could.