Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras

Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras (https://www.seccs.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Subaru Discussion & Club Chat (https://www.seccs.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Buying used (https://www.seccs.org/forums/showthread.php?t=7004)

Detritus 2008-08-02 01:24 PM

Buying used

I've been looking at used sti's lately but I'm really leery of buying someone elses problem. Specifically its an 05 sti with intake, bov, and catback. It was never tuned and its got around 20k miles. Given those mods and not being tuned I wonder if it has damaged the car any? I just don't want to end up selling my perfectly good wrx and end up with a problem sti.

If I have the car inspected what should they look for? Compression test? etc?

Dean 2008-08-02 03:27 PM

It may have had an Access Port that has just been unmarried, but no way to tell.

Also, they clearly don't know much as an Intake is about the last mod you want on a WRX/STI. I'd plane to take that off. Do you know which intake it is?

Catback is a non-issue...

You can always take it to Nissan for a thorough inspection.

bign 2008-08-02 03:43 PM

Don't most blow-off's make the car run rich between shifts? It makes it run crappy but I don't think it damages much (waiting for correction). Coupled with the intake i'm sure the car is probably running worse then stock. But that's all easily fixable. And like Dean said, a cb is a cb.

Is this from a private party or dealer? Do the stock parts come with it? And most importantly, is it rally blue! :P

Dean 2008-08-02 05:07 PM

I missed the BOV. Another Ricer mod that does nothing positive on an STI... It sounds like the car was owned by a kid who listened to his Eclipse owning buddies.

Bob Danger 2008-08-02 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean (Post 122025)
You can always take it to Nissan for a thorough inspection.

I'll inspect it..... with a shovel!

Detritus 2008-08-02 06:30 PM

The car is in San Diego so I can't really get a good look at it. It does have some minor cosmetic issues which make me want to turn away from it. I found a better one with less miles, "adult owner", and has never been modded. But, its in New York. :(

That was my understanding of BOVs also with the rich condition between shifts.

Its hawt sechs white. It does have a pinstripe that I would remove and those door to car paint protector widgets.

cody 2008-08-02 06:40 PM

The intake could have damaged the motor if it's one of the ones that cause lean condition.

WRXlerate 2008-08-04 12:33 AM

I've bought 2 used sti's and was never really happy with either one. BUT...if you get a screamin' deal on it, I'd say it would be hard to pass up. Just make sure nothing serious is wrong with it. I've seen sti's go as low as $16k. Also, I would try to find one within a days drive, so if you get there and it's not what you expected you can leave and not be out a fistfull of cash for airfare. Or worse yet, have it shipped to you and find out you were lied to (had this happen to me from a suby dealer in texas) Good luck with the purchase. I think buying a used racecar is always going to be a crapshoot.