Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras

Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras (https://www.seccs.org/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic Chat (https://www.seccs.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Speeders BEWARE! NHP picked up some new toys (https://www.seccs.org/forums/showthread.php?t=8844)

WRXlerate 2010-06-10 08:28 AM

Speeders BEWARE! NHP picked up some new toys

So on my commute to carson on Monday my V1 threw up a laser alert. Knowing that NHP doesn't have laser guns I continued on thinking it was a false alert. Sure enough there was an NHP ahead, parked on the side of the freeway standing outside of his patrol car, laser gun in hand. The laser alert went off again as he hit me with it. There isn't much warning compared to their normal Ka band so I just wanted to give everyone a heads up. In a time of budget crisis for the state, these bastards get new equipment :mad:

M3n2c3 2010-06-10 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WRXlerate (Post 149787)
In a time of budget crisis for the state, these bastards get new equipment :mad:

Well, the equipment pays for itself if they catch enough people :lol:

100_Percent_Juice 2010-06-10 09:30 AM

That is pretty intense. I have seen 2 police standing outside of their vehicle doing this so it must be the same thing. Also, there has been several traps along Wilbur May to catch people who don't come to a complete stop. I am fine with this since that is something that I don't like but, they are not always accurate as to who they ticket. There were 2 motorcycle cops out there last night at 10pm in the dark and you could not see them until you turned the street.

A1337STI 2010-06-10 12:39 PM

I always thought motorcycle cops stopped operating at dark, or at times of rain..

good to know though. (not that i have a radar detector though) hehe

DARKSTI 2010-06-10 01:10 PM

I also saw one in a Charger a few days ago under the Robb EB overpass doing the same thing.

tysonK 2010-06-10 02:31 PM

don't speed.

*jaded*

cody 2010-06-10 02:52 PM

I got nailed doing 80 on 80 about 30 miles before Auburn on my way to Sonoma County a few weeks ago. The V1 lit up just as I crested the hill and saw the cop pointing the lidar gun at me...no time to react. He wrote me down for doing 75. The ticket is like $250 IIRC. I guess I'm going to do traffic school. I'm assuming a ticket in CA can raise my insurance prices in NV?

Nick Koan 2010-06-10 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cody (Post 149801)
I'm assuming a ticket in CA can raise my insurance prices in NV?

Yeah, the DMV systems are linked now. Ticket in CA will find its way to NV, then insurance will pick it up eventually.

cody 2010-06-10 05:05 PM

^Thought so. The piece of mail that CA sent me says I have to provide a printout of my driving record since I'm out of state. Guess they're not that linked. :lol:

M3n2c3 2010-06-11 09:21 AM

I got ticketed for the same thing once (doing 80 on 80), and at that time taking the online drivers ed made the citation "invisible." Have they changed that? This was about six years ago.

It was also right before my b-day. . . my only speeding ticket ever and I have not sped like that since. It was ENTIRELY not worth it.

cody 2010-06-11 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M3n2c3 (Post 149836)
I got ticketed for the same thing once (doing 80 on 80), and at that time taking the online drivers ed made the citation "invisible." Have they changed that? This was about six years ago.

It was also right before my b-day. . . my only speeding ticket ever and I have not sped like that since. It was ENTIRELY not worth it.

Yah, that's the motivation to do traffic school, it keeps the "point" from showing up on your DMV record so your insurance isn't affected. You can only do it once every two years, in CA anyway.

Kevin M 2010-06-11 09:58 AM

Do it anyway, the vast majority of the time the point won't show up.

cody 2010-06-11 01:10 PM

I just called the CA traffic court and they say that I need to check with my DMV to determine if their traffic school will prevent the point from going on my record, here in NV. :roll:

cody 2010-06-11 02:09 PM

Huh, this makes it sound like there's no reason to attend traffic school (or pay the $59 just for the right to do so):

Quote:

Nevada residents who received a citation in another state - Contact the court of jurisdiction as listed on the citation for possible plea bargain arrangements. Any conviction will become part of your Nevada driving record. Out-of-state convictions do not generate demerit points.
http://www.dmvnv.com/dlpoints.htm

The question is, does no demerit points mean no insurance raise?

Kevin M 2010-06-11 02:40 PM

I don't think so. States have the points systems that lead to suspensions and whatnot. But if your insurance company finds out about the ticket, you get the point(s). So it sounds like if you do traffic school, no increase.

dknv 2010-06-13 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WRXlerate (Post 149787)
..There isn't much warning compared to their normal Ka band so I just wanted to give everyone a heads up. ..

Good to know.

I read in rgj a week or two ago, there were stings set up to catch drivers Not giving right-of-way to pedestrians. fyi.

bigrobwoot 2010-06-13 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cody (Post 149865)
Huh, this makes it sound like there's no reason to attend traffic school (or pay the $59 just for the right to do so):

Correct. If there are no demerits, it is reduced to a non-moving violation, and is equivalent to a parking ticket.

When I got a ticket in rural NV, I called the court and they cut the fine in half and gave me no demerits. I'd say it's worth a shot to call the court that the ticket tells you to report to if you want to fight it and see what they say.

cody 2010-06-15 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cody (Post 149865)

And the question remains unanswered even after receiving a responce from the NV DMV:

Quote:

Good afternoon Cody,

Out of state citations do not generate demerit points in Nevada .

If California sends us the citation we will be required to add it on to your record and your insurance company will be able to see it. Insurance companies have their own system for interpreting drive records and we do not keep that information. As far as whether the insurance company will raise your premiums, we do not have that information either. You will need to contact them for that.

You are free to take a California traffic school and it may be possible to prevent it from being put on your record in Nevada . If you contact the California Mandatory Action Unit at 916-657-6525 they can advise you on what you can do. Be sure to follow their instructions exactly.

I hope that I have answered your questions. If you have any further questions or comments please don’t hesitate to contact me. Thank you.

cody 2010-06-15 03:59 PM

Damn, looks like I should go to traffic school. :mad:

Quote:

Good afternoon again Cody,

I am sorry, but unfortunately we have no way of knowing if going to school in California will prevent the citation from being sent to us. You will need to contact them for this information. If after taking the school in California your citation is showing “0” points, California will consider it a “0” point violation and they will not send it to us. You can get more information from the California Mandatory Action Unit at 916-657-6525.

I do know that if you do not attend school, California will definitely send the citation to Nevada , and we are required to record it.

I hope that I have answered your questions. Please feel free to contact me if you have any other questions or comments, thank you.

Double Phister 2010-06-23 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cody (Post 149839)
Yah, that's the motivation to do traffic school, it keeps the "point" from showing up on your DMV record so your insurance isn't affected. You can only do it once every two years, in CA anyway.

Once per 18 months actually.