Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras

Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras (https://www.seccs.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Subaru Discussion & Club Chat (https://www.seccs.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Safety is job 1! (https://www.seccs.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5589)

sperry 2007-03-06 02:26 PM

Safety is job 1!

6 Attachment(s)
Muhahahha!

100_Percent_Juice 2007-03-06 02:28 PM

Oh damn

Is that the perrin water injection in the back?

knucklesplitter 2007-03-06 02:29 PM

Nice work. Did GST do that for you?

MikeK 2007-03-06 02:31 PM

Is that wheelchair accessible?

sperry 2007-03-06 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knucklesplitter (Post 92662)
Nice work. Did GST do that for you?

Yeah, Mike sent it out to the guys (I think they're in Sac) that do all his cars. I can't wait to see it in person, but there's a bunch of motor work to be done next before I pick it up. I'm hoping sometime in the next 2 or 3 weeks it'll be together and I can head down w/ the trailer to pick it up.

sperry 2007-03-06 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeK (Post 92664)
Is that wheelchair accessible?

If I need a wheelchair in the near future... I'm guessing it'll be because the cage failed. So no, it better not be wheelchair accessible! :lol:

knucklesplitter 2007-03-06 02:36 PM

Now all you need to do is weld the doors shut and paint a Cunfedrit flayag on the roof.

Are those stock seats?

Bob Danger 2007-03-06 02:39 PM

Bitchin, straight up bitchin.

sperry 2007-03-06 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knucklesplitter (Post 92668)
Now all you need to do is weld the doors shut and paint a Cunfedrit flayag on the roof.

Are those stock seats?

My RaceTech seats are sitting at GST... the pics are from the cage builders. Once the car's back in Hayward, the seats and harnesses go in. Then the motor next.

And at some point, I'm gonna need to get the fenders and doors cleaned up (I'll probably need a new LF fender, and some dent extractor type work on the rest of the left side). And I'd like to replace the rear sway bar, and that should hopefully get me to the start of the season (and hopefully through the season, tires and brake pads aside).

JonnydaJibba 2007-03-06 03:03 PM

I don't usually say this, but that's tits mang.

Kevin M 2007-03-06 03:05 PM

What size RSB are you looking for Scott? I've got a 17mm wagon bar and a 20-24mm Cusco bar. Not sure which if either I'm going to end up using until my coilovers are on in April or May.

Nick Koan 2007-03-06 03:06 PM

Nice looking cage.

Dean 2007-03-06 03:37 PM

Sweet. Care to share the rough cost?

sperry 2007-03-06 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BAN SUVS (Post 92675)
What size RSB are you looking for Scott? I've got a 17mm wagon bar and a 20-24mm Cusco bar. Not sure which if either I'm going to end up using until my coilovers are on in April or May.

Um... I wish I knew... I'd like the Whiteline race bars, but I may just settle with boring out my rear bushings so they don't freeze up and get by with my current bar. It's not really the size of the bar(s) that I need to address, it's the "oops, the RSB is stuck in its bushings adding 400lbs of spring rate to the rear of my car when it's cold so I go spinning off freeway on-ramps and through fences" aspect I'd like to fix.

Really, I just need new rear mounts I guess...

sperry 2007-03-06 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean (Post 92680)
Sweet. Care to share the rough cost?

$3500, though I'm not sure if that's the "going rate" or just the rate you get when you spend as much as I am at a shop in one sitting. :eek: It's actually more expensive to get a showroom stock cage like this than a "regular" cage, since so much of the interior has to be kept around, i.e. there's a lot of labor in working around the interior, trimming the dash, getting the door bars close to the doors but still keeping the door cards, etc.

Double Phister 2007-03-06 03:46 PM

Is this a daily driver or track only car?

sperry 2007-03-06 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 100_Percent_Juice (Post 92660)
Oh damn

Is that the perrin water injection in the back?

Just saw this post... that's a Spec-C STi I/C spray tank that feeds an Aquamist 2D kit.

Since I'm going to 100 octane for racing and since I can't run alky due to rules, the water injection kit isn't going to be buying me much, so the kit's for sale (see this thread). I'm asking only $600 (for an $800 kit, plus the $200 Spec-C tank, and braided line from the trunk to the firewall). So, if anyone's interested in going to water or alcohol injection, I've got the whole setup with very low miles on it (probably only 500-1000 miles, since I didn't run WI for autocross/street driving, just at track events) for cheap.

Dean 2007-03-06 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sperry (Post 92681)
Um... I wish I knew... I'd like the Whiteline race bars, but I may just settle with boring out my rear bushings so they don't freeze up and get by with my current bar...

This can likely be addressed with fender washers or other spacers between the U bushing brackets and the mounts. I had a similar issue. You may need longer bolts to do it.

Kevin M 2007-03-06 03:49 PM

Quote:

It's not really the size of the bar(s) that I need to address, it's the "oops, the RSB is stuck in its bushings adding 400lbs of spring rate to the rear of my car when it's cold so I go spinning off freeway on-ramps and through fences" aspect I'd like to fix.

Really, I just need new rear mounts I guess...

:lol: True dat.

knucklesplitter 2007-03-06 03:49 PM

Quote:

Um... I wish I knew... I'd like the Whiteline race bars, but I may just settle with boring out my rear bushings so they don't freeze up and get by with my current bar. It's not really the size of the bar(s) that I need to address, it's the "oops, the RSB is stuck in its bushings adding 400lbs of spring rate to the rear of my car when it's cold so I go spinning off freeway on-ramps and through fences" aspect I'd like to fix.

You might think this is teh funnay... My 88 Saleen had the squeakiest swaybar bushings, and I think they would bind up occasionally too. Gawd, it was annoying. So I drilled a hole thru the mounts and bushings and tapped in a zerk fitting. Gave the bushings a shot of grease every oil change and problem solved. :lol:

This unfortunately didn't stop me from spinning out sometimes on freeway on-ramps...

sperry 2007-03-06 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R4ND0M_AX3 (Post 92683)

Track only... once my registration comes up next year, I won't be able to smog it due to the standalone EM, so I'm going to register it for off-road use only, and drop the insurance on it (there's no coverage if I crack it up at the track after all). The only reason I'd keep the ins. on it is if it's not covered when it's on my trailer by my existing insurance, or for theft... I need to talk to Art about it (you done moving yet buddy?).

MikeK 2007-03-06 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R4ND0M_AX3 (Post 92683)

It's for really fast trips to the 7-11 for milk and bread :P

sperry 2007-03-06 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean (Post 92685)
This can likely be addressed with fender washers or other spacers between the U bushing brackets and the mounts. I had a similar issue. You may need longer bolts to do it.

I tried that already... but I may need to try again with more washers and some longer bolts. I really wish the bushings were grooved for grease retention and/or had some fittings on 'em... but the Whiteline mounts I've got are just like the OEM, just beefier and w/ polyurethane bushings.

knucklesplitter 2007-03-06 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sperry (Post 92690)
I really wish the bushings were grooved for grease retention and/or had some fittings on 'em... but the Whiteline mounts I've got are just like the OEM, just beefier and w/ polyurethane bushings.

Oh, I forgot to mention I "grooved" mine with a dremel tool. And mine were the stock bushing holders - I just tapped the thin metal. Knowing me back then I may have used some J-B Weld to help hold the fittings in. :oops:

sperry 2007-03-06 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knucklesplitter (Post 92692)
Oh, I forgot to mention I "grooved" mine with a dremel tool. And mine were the stock bushing holders - I just tapped the thin metal. Knowing me back then I may have used some J-B Weld to help hold the fittings in. :oops:

I might just do that... cut some spirals into the poly w/ my dremel. It would help hold the grease, and effectively increase the diameter of the hole allowing the bar to rotate better.