Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras

Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras (https://www.seccs.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Subaru Discussion & Club Chat (https://www.seccs.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Kspeed is gone?! Say it aint so... (https://www.seccs.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10260)

left footed whooten 2014-08-20 09:38 PM

Kspeed is gone?! Say it aint so...

So, Kevin, you guys are all done at K speed? Plans to re-open or? Hope everything's okay. Where to get good work done around here if they arent around anymore? Compact car repair was always good, but preferred Kspeed....

sperry 2014-08-20 09:46 PM

The K in KSpeed is for "kaput".

I've gone to IVM in sparks for a few things since KSpeed closed. The owner, Jay, is a super good guy. I met him running with him at Lemons. They're definitely a good alternative.

Also, one of these days Cory is supposed to be opening up a shop, though those plans seem to have been delayed as he's taken a side job running a couple of restaurants.

Nick Koan 2014-08-20 09:56 PM

Second for IVM. I took my car there a few weeks ago and was well taken care of.

I've also heard good things about Independent Automotive, but I've never taken my vehicle there.

left footed whooten 2014-08-21 01:22 AM

I think its going to be between them and A&C in sac. Didnt even know about IVM.

I think its going to be between them and A&C in sac. Didnt even know about IVM.

ooo double double

sybir 2014-08-21 06:38 AM

FW in Rocklin right off 80 is also an option if you're driving a bit. Only place that touches my car, though I'd hope you guys can find something that works in Reno.

left footed whooten 2014-08-21 06:53 AM

Im not cool enough to know what FW is....what it stand fo?

Nick Koan 2014-08-21 07:00 AM

I don't know what FW stands for, but they are the former DBtuned. DBtuned moved to a bigger location in Roseville and expanded to have some more Motorsports projects and stuff like that. You'll find plenty of good reviews of DBTuned on here. I took my car there quite a few times before KSpeed opened up here in Reno.

Oh, and since Scott or I never spelled it out, IVM stands for Infinite Velocity Motorsports.

k-dogg39 2014-08-21 07:12 AM

FW is Fallen Warrior I believe. I have been there when they were DBtuned, as well as FW. They are a good shop, just a little bit of a drive. I think there is a new shop in Auburn as well called M45 that I have heard some good things about too. Never been there or to IVM though.

sybir 2014-08-21 07:58 AM

M45 is also a solid shop - Tony is a great guy and an experienced Subaru dealer tech.

cody 2014-08-21 12:55 PM

Wow, look how calmly Subaru shops can be discussed without drama when there are no dickbags in the room. lol

I need a good shop in Santa Rosa, too. Might take my car to LIC in Novato next time I need something done to my precious.

k-dogg39 2014-08-22 09:25 AM

If I lived there I would definitely take my car to LIC. Those guys are awesome.

Kevin M 2014-08-22 10:36 PM

Late to this party, but yes, KSpeed is dead and gone. I'd be happy to refer our customers to any of the shops mentioned, and FW and LIC in particular are Subaru-centric and extremely dedicated to doing things right.

For maintenance and typical repairs, you guys can find me at Automotion. I've been a service advisor there for about a month now, and I'm happy with the commitment to quality from the technicians as well as management. For the motorsports-oriented stuff beyond tire mountings and some custom alignments, like turbo upgrades, rebuilds, coilovers, etc. I'd say the best course is to wait for Cory to get started back up.

sybir 2014-08-25 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k-dogg39 (Post 165747)
If I lived there I would definitely take my car to LIC. Those guys are awesome.

Seconding this. People from all over the bay make the hike to Adam and Noah at LIC because they do great work and stand behind it. They're also, personally, great guys.

Double_Rs 2014-09-07 07:16 PM

Any recommendations on a shop that can press out and press in rear wheel bearings for sti's? Or is IVM and IA the best shops at the moment?

rory_a 2014-09-15 08:54 AM

Any rec's on an alternative shop proficient enough with alignments to handle a multilink/inverted a-arm one-off suspension? Cory did the last one, be we replaced the shock bodies and brought the rear hubs in 1/2" each side for wheel fitment.

And I've had, and heard of, enough bad experiences with IVM (Centered Services now?) to urge any one considering them to look elsewhere. My own experience is just shoddy negligent stuff on simple projects that reflects poorly enough on their work to run far, far away. Others have had incorrectly spec'd bearings and similar baseline stuff cause motor loss with no support or coverage for labor/parts.