Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras

Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras (https://www.seccs.org/forums/index.php)
-   Technical Chat (https://www.seccs.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Swapping the unicorn (https://www.seccs.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9840)

Dewey 2012-07-31 04:53 PM

Swapping the unicorn

I finally saved up enough to do my swap!:D

I found an EJ257 and most of the other parts needed to swap my car. For those of you that don't know me, I have a 1998 Arcadia Green 2.5 RS. (Yes, the one that I was trying to sell not too long ago..) So, within the next few weeks, I will be starting the seemingly agonizing process.

This will be my first time swapping, so I will probably need all the help I can get.
Do any of you have first hand swap experience?

Kevin M 2012-07-31 06:16 PM

I've done three. Basically, if you have a complete wiring harness and the proper front end bits like a crossmember and front sway bar, it's not that hard. What do you have for wiring and transmission? It's also easiest to start with it as stock as possible, then mod later.

Dewey 2012-07-31 06:52 PM

I am still looking for a crossmember and front sway bar. I was told I can get a turbo legacy crossmember at the dealership though, which should match up without having to shim my control arms.

I will be getting a fully merged harness by a shop in Southern California. With that sale, I will get the fuel pump controller, downpipe, o2 and maf sensors, power steering pump, alternator, ecu, immobilizer, and keys.

I've pretty much read everything I can get my hands on, especially threads on RS25. Does anyone have any information that could help?

Kevin M 2012-07-31 09:43 PM

Depending on when you do it, I may be able to stop by and lend some advice. The first big key is to have a complete parts list when you start. The second is to stay organized. Those two things won't prevent all possible problems, but it makes them much easier to solve.

ScottyS 2012-08-01 01:26 PM

I'm pretty sure I still have my extra Turbo Legacy crossmember from Josh's car.

I'm getting close to liquidating a lot of parts from my garage, so this is good timing if you need it.

A search shows me that they've been selling for ~$100 on various forums, I'll take $70.

And yeah, have a lot of space to keep things organized.

Dewey 2012-08-02 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottyS (Post 161820)
I'm pretty sure I still have my extra Turbo Legacy crossmember from Josh's car.

I'm getting close to liquidating a lot of parts from my garage, so this is good timing if you need it.

A search shows me that they've been selling for ~$100 on various forums, I'll take $70.

And yeah, have a lot of space to keep things organized.

I would love to take that off your hands. So would it a "true" fit?

The thread I am referencing is here... http://www.rs25.com/forums/f128/t368...-sti-swap.html

It says, "-Crossmember (You can use the USDM WRX or STi X-member, but you will have to shim your control arms. The only direct bolt-on x-members are the true GC8 ones and the USDM Legacy turbo ones)"

Dewey 2012-08-04 10:08 AM

Update: I will be picking up the longblock and most of the extras two weeks from now. The only parts left that I will need are a catback, radiator, x-member, and intercooler.

Does anyone have any of these parts lying around. I was thinking about buying an eBay radiator. Has anyone had any experience with one?

Dewey 2012-08-04 10:12 AM

One more thing that I realized that I would need...

Anyone have an engine hoist that I can use? :D

ScottyS 2012-08-04 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dewey (Post 161831)
I would love to take that off your hands. So would it a "true" fit?

The thread I am referencing is here... http://www.rs25.com/forums/f128/t368...-sti-swap.html

It says, "-Crossmember (You can use the USDM WRX or STi X-member, but you will have to shim your control arms. The only direct bolt-on x-members are the true GC8 ones and the USDM Legacy turbo ones)"

Yep, it's the Leggy Turbo Xmember from a 1991 SS. It's off of Josh's old car, and I was going to swap my 1998 GF, but that project is never going to happen now unless I become unemployed and simultaneously inherit a million dollars. Replied to your PM as well.

A1337STI 2012-08-07 04:47 PM

when are you doing the swap ? (or some of it )

I might be down to come over and "help"

Dewey 2012-08-09 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A1337STI (Post 161870)
when are you doing the swap ? (or some of it )

I might be down to come over and "help"

I'm picking up the parts on the weekend of the 18th, so I'll likely start on it at the beginning of the next week. :P

How long do you guys think my tranny is going to hold up for?? :oops: Maybe I can use a broken trans for an excuse to get the 6mt.. I already have the wiring harness wired for DCCD. :D

A1337STI 2012-08-09 08:36 AM

heh, how funny, I may be helping one of my friends / crew guys install a 6mt into his wagon this weekend... hehhe

Dewey 2012-08-10 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A1337STI (Post 161901)
heh, how funny, I may be helping one of my friends / crew guys install a 6mt into his wagon this weekend... hehhe

I want one so bad, but there are so many other things that I have to buy first. :(

Dewey 2012-08-10 05:10 PM

I just bought my front swaybar and front mount intercooler. My parts pile is starting to grow.. :)

Does anyone know if there are distinct markings on teh Walbro 255 pump. I have a feeling that I already have one, so I want to know before I buy one. Also, I have to fix my gas gauge. I think the float is bent or something.

Dewey 2012-08-23 06:58 PM

Big update!
I got the dash and dash beam out today. I'm making a good amount of headway on the removal of the bulkhead harness. The motor is out and the wiring harnesses are fully merged.

I have been running into some problems with getting the HVAC unit out. It seems to be stuck somewhere on the firewall. I know there are some hoses and such running to the engine bay, so I'm going to have to attempt it again tomorrow after removing them.

Anyone want to stop by tomorrow to help? It would be greatly appreciated!

Pictures to follow momentarily.

Dewey 2012-08-23 07:03 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Pictures! I dragged Robby into helping me for a bit.. He remembered how much he loved working on cars! :lol:

Kevin M 2012-08-23 07:29 PM

You'll need to really smash your face in under the AC box, or get a small mirror to see the last bolt. If it doesn't come out with one good tug, there's still one there. Also, you can pull off the cruise control actuator, the STi doesn't use one.

Dewey 2012-08-23 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin M (Post 161990)
You'll need to really smash your face in under the AC box, or get a small mirror to see the last bolt. If it doesn't come out with one good tug, there's still one there. Also, you can pull off the cruise control actuator, the STi doesn't use one.

Thanks Kevin! Forgive my newbishness, but is that the unit that has the cable connected to it on the left hand side of the engine bay in the pic?

Kevin M 2012-08-23 08:53 PM

Yep, that's the one.

Dewey 2012-08-24 06:53 PM

So, it turns out that the Xmember that I got was for the transmission and not the engine. I'd really like to find this locally so that I don't have to be held up too long (and shipping costs obviously).

Does anyone have a xmember that would work for an STi swap?

Kevin M 2012-08-24 07:39 PM

I have one in the garage you can borrow and replace. Just get me another one before I do a Subaru turbo project... which might be this winter and might be in the 2040s. :lol: I *think* it's a turbo Leg crossmember, but I'm not totally positive. It was in the white RS I had though, and had no spacers, so there's that.

Dewey 2012-08-24 07:56 PM

3 Attachment(s)
That would be awesome, Kevin! Any chance I can pick it up tomorrow?

Progress pictures..

Dewey 2012-08-24 07:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
And my favorite.. :eek:

Kevin M 2012-08-24 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dewey (Post 162011)
That would be awesome, Kevin! Any chance I can pick it up tomorrow?

No problem. I'll PM you my number and address.

ScottyS 2012-08-25 07:24 PM

and in your future search for one, just post up on LegacyCentral that you want one, and I imagine a few will come out of the woodwork.