Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras

Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras (https://www.seccs.org/forums/index.php)
-   Technical Chat (https://www.seccs.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Similarities between 2.5 in Legacys and in STI? (https://www.seccs.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1081)

STIwish 2004-02-15 10:00 PM

Similarities between 2.5 in Legacys and in STI?

How close are these engines? Are they the same minus compression ratio and turbo, or are they completely different?

Nick Koan 2004-02-15 11:18 PM

They are relatively the same. I think the only thing difference is that the N/A 2.5 engines don't have forged internals (and a turbo/intercooler, obviously).

sybir 2004-02-15 11:28 PM

2.5T is a semi-closed deck, as opposed to the open NA motor. Heads are totally different with respect to cams, valves, etc. The 2.5T motors have AVCS (variable valve timing), and there's other stuff, I'm sure.....

I dunno if there's any difference in cylinder liners or anything, though.
But yeah, forged rods, crank, lower comp pistons, etc...

Dean 2004-02-16 01:42 AM

I don't know if it bad form to comment on someones sig or not, but...

I had to think about Sybir's "Drifting is the automotive equivalent of figure skating. Rallying is playing goalie without a face mask and grinning." and thought it didn't quite fit my mental image.

I would liken drifting more to bobsleding, and rally to luging naked while baseball pitchers throw snow/ice balls at you and grinning. :D

STIwish 2004-02-16 02:31 AM

So basically, forget building a turbo legacy unless you're willing to swap correct?

Kevin M 2004-02-16 02:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean
I don't know if it bad form to comment on someones sig or not, but...

I had to think about Sybir's "Drifting is the automotive equivalent of figure skating. Rallying is playing goalie without a face mask and grinning." and thought it didn't quite fit my mental image.

I would liken drifting more to bobsleding, and rally to luging naked while baseball pitchers throw snow/ice balls at you and grinning. :D

Bobsledding>figure skating. This is by virtue of actual objective event results being used to determine the winner. Judges determining a winner based on form = not a motorsport. :P Good call on the luge thing though. :lol:

sperry 2004-02-16 02:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by STIwish
So basically, forget building a turbo legacy unless you're willing to swap correct?

Or just get a Legacy Turbo.

Kevin M 2004-02-16 02:46 AM

Quote:

It can still be easily done, just can't expect the same levels of power and reliabilty as with the STi motors.

BOO 2004-02-16 09:21 AM

Dude, Just Get an STi ;) :wink:

STIwish 2004-02-16 12:20 PM

LOL, will never be able to afford it... but I was asking for a friend about the Legacy.

Nick Koan 2004-02-16 12:23 PM

You could probably turbo it with low (very low) amounts of boost without doing anything else to the motor.

But if you wanted decent boost/power, you'd probably have to add forged internals and maybe get some STi heads.

By that point, you're probably pretty close to what a swap would cost.

BOO 2004-02-16 12:48 PM

Quote:

LOL, will never be able to afford it... but I was asking for a friend about the Legacy.

Never say "NEVER" ;)

STIwish 2004-02-16 12:51 PM

Oh, I do say never, but hey, you NEVER know

Kevin M 2004-02-16 06:45 PM

For direct comparison sake, the NA Legacy has the same motor that DrFunk is runnig. You can do the exact same things to it.

drfunk 2004-02-17 12:54 PM

im running forcedartech stage one kit at 7 psi and still running close to rich. im also working on an air/water i/c. im having the intake for it fabricated as im writing this..ill have it completed tomorrow and show it off at the meet on thurs.http://www.forcedairtech.com/stage1.htmlalso running vortec FMU.

drfunk 2004-02-17 04:09 PM

ok well my air/water i/c intake will be finished next week. mcvay's had to order 180,45, and 90 degree mandral bends to complete it. they come in on mon and they will finish fabricating on tues.

MikeSTI 2004-02-17 04:15 PM

^^^^ :cry: but you'll have it soon :wink:

sperry 2004-02-17 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drfunk
ok well my air/water i/c intake will be finished next week. mcvay's had to order 180,45, and 90 degree mandral bends to complete it. they come in on mon and they will finish fabricating on tues.

So I guess the rumor that McVay's has a mandrel bender is false.

dknv 2004-02-18 10:32 AM

Last year I went looking for a mandrel bender in Reno, and found none in NNV. The closest place was in Sacramento.

LVSUBARU 2004-03-02 08:36 PM

I just got ahold of a STi short block. As far as the block goes the only difference appears to be the semi-closed deck. The pistons look pretty sweet. Nice and dished. 8)