Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras

Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras (https://www.seccs.org/forums/index.php)
-   Technical Chat (https://www.seccs.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Steering Rack Bushing (https://www.seccs.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1475)

tysonK 2004-05-24 07:02 PM

Steering Rack Bushing

In the new SCC they have an article in which they mention the huge gains in feel and response in steering after they installed a new stiffer steering rack bushing in teh STi.

So the Steering Rack Bushing is different than the ALK right? Or are they talking about the same thing?

I don't think they are because they quote the cost of the bushing at $40. And an ALK kit runs close to $100.

And the last and most important question is it LEGAL IN STX?

doubleurx 2004-05-24 07:06 PM

Re: Steering Rack Bushing

Quote:

Originally Posted by tysonK
In the new SCC they have an article in which they mention the huge gains in feel and response in steering after they installed a new stiffer steering rack bushing in teh STi.

So the Steering Rack Bushing is different than the ALK right? Or are they talking about the same thing?

I don't think they are because they quote the cost of the bushing at $40. And an ALK kit runs close to $100.

It is different. I just read the same article. I'm ordering mine tomorrow!

sperry 2004-05-24 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tysonK

Steering rack bushings rock, and they're cheap, which is why they're not legal in STX. :x :roll:

They go into the rack and give the steering wheel a more direct connection to the front wheels, which results in more feedback and more precision.

tysonK 2004-05-24 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sperry
Steering rack bushings rock, and they're cheap, which is why they're not legal in STX. :x :roll:

Alright just wanted to make sure, I don't remember anyone ever mentioning them, or maybe I wasn't paying attention.

MikeSTI 2004-05-24 10:14 PM

so are they legit for SM? I need a book if someone wants to part with one or get me one?

sperry 2004-05-24 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeSTI
so are they legit for SM? I need a book if someone wants to part with one or get me one?

They usually have them at registration during any AutoX. If they're out, I'm sure Debbie can get you one.

Steering rack bushings are legal in SM.

Dean 2004-05-24 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeSTI

$15 at every event, or meeting pretty much. Debbie might even bring one to a meet if you ask.

dknv 2004-05-25 07:47 AM

Mike already asked, and I don't have any on hand. I either need to get one from the supplies on the bus this weekend, or get one from Matt Benson.

AtomicLabMonkey 2004-05-25 07:49 AM

Stiffer steering rack bushings are good stuff; I have solid aluminum ones in my Mustang. It makes the steering feel crisper since you're not losing some of your steering motion to rubber deflection. Just do some research and make sure there aren't possible issues that can arise out of it; in Mustangs there are sometimes problems in doing Al. rack bushings thanks to Ford's sloppy production tolerances. The two flat mounting surfaces on the k-member that the rack mounts to can be slightly out of plane, so when you go and torque the rack down solidly to these two out of plane surfaces, it bends the rack housing slightly - thus resulting in the rack sticking and slipping inside the housing where it's in contact when you turn the wheel. Just FYI, I don't know how good FHI/Subaru's production tolerances are...

MikeSTI 2004-05-25 08:55 AM

well who every has one in good condition could maybe sale me thier's and get another one while at Hawthorne?

Kostamojen 2004-06-03 12:17 AM

Unless you are competing for a trophy like dean and scott, I wouldnt worry about the steering rack bushings. They dont make you any faster, and sure they arent legal, but they arent going to get protested either. Its worth the $30 for the rest of the time you drive the car.
Ive had them on my car for awhile now, and even got them for my moms legacy GT. Best mod for the money.

Ill install them on anyones car if they want, they are a biznatch to install if you havent done them before :p Ive done it like 10 or 12 times now on pretty much every scoob model that can use them.

tysonK 2004-06-03 03:00 PM

No being protested by the local club is one thing, but knowing that you could be protested in a close out of town race is a whole other thing completely.

MattR 2004-06-03 03:47 PM

Mike, I have a rule book in my car just for you....I'll have it tonight.

MikeSTI 2004-06-07 10:58 AM

thx for the book. been busy all weekend just now getting a chance to hit the threads :lol:

IheartSTI 2004-06-07 01:15 PM

Where do you get this bushing at?

Kostamojen 2004-06-07 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scoobanader

http://www.mpjperformance.com/cgi-bi...ode=SUBSUSMISC

Kevin M 2004-06-08 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scoobanader

S-Squared sells them all the time.