Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras

Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras (https://www.seccs.org/forums/index.php)
-   Motorsports Chat (https://www.seccs.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   GST Motorsports at Redline Auto Club Speedway press release (https://www.seccs.org/forums/showthread.php?t=6988)

GST Mike 2008-07-22 01:06 PM

GST Motorsports at Redline Auto Club Speedway press release

The GST Motorsports Blindside at Auto Club Speedway

http://i35.tinypic.com/10xxdah.jpg

Fontana, CA, 08/21/08 – Against all odds and expectations, the GST Motorsports Subaru Impreza “L” crushed the competition in Round 4 of the Redline Time Attack series at Auto Club Speedway in southern California. The 12 year old Subie turned a crowd shocking lap time of 1:38.395, shattering the track record and clinching the Overall Championship by 3.2 seconds!

This marks the first time that GST Motorsports has walked away with the title of Overall Champion. Along the way the team also collected trophies for the Unlimited Championship and Unlimited AWD class win, besting the heavily favored CWest/Brian Crower Honda S2000 and Subaru factory backed Crawford 2008 Impreza STi.

Adding insult to injury, GST Motorsports made it a clean sweep for the entire event by winning the inaugural Live Sockets Battle series Heads-Up Race. The grudge match pitted the GST Impreza “L” against the C-West/ Brian Crower S2000 in two consecutive single lap wheel-to-wheel races. The aging Subie left the S2000 in the dust as the cars crossed the starting line and went on to win both of the Battles with plenty of time in hand.

“The car really came to life this weekend”, said Gary Sheehan, driver for GST Motorsports. “The team has been working extremely hard since the last Time Attack and the ongoing development of this car is starting to pay off. Combined with Mike Warfield’s engine building and tuning ability, this car is now one hell of a package. I never thought I would find myself behind the wheel of a 12 year old Subaru staring down a braking zone at 172mph!!!”

“We have been having great success with our latest engine development” said Mike Warfield, owner and engine tuner of GST Motorsports. “The Cosworth block and heads combined with Darton Cylinder Sleeves and GT35r turbo make for an incredibly tough motor that just keeps putting out impressive levels of power event after event. This engine has been through three race weekends and two full test days and is ready to do it all over again!”

The next Redline Time Attack takes the team all the way to the east coast and the GT Live event at Virginia International Raceway on October 3-5. GST Motorsports plans to continue development of the Impreza “L” chassis and shoot for even more impressive power output in preparation for the last Redline Time Attack event of the season.

GST Motorsports would like to thank their sponsors for their continued support, Triple XXX Root Beer, Cosworth, BFGoodrich, Wheeldude.com, Cobb Tuning, Whiteline, I-Club.com, Endless USA, TEC, VFiber and Carbonetic.

GST Motorsports, Inc. is family owned and operated in Hayward, CA. With over 10 years experience in building, modifying and maintaining performance autos for applications from mild street to full race. GST operates out of a state of the art 5,000sqft facility boasting all the tools to fabricate, install and tune a host of applications. To learn more about GST Motorsports please visit us on the web at www.gstmotorsports.com

GST Mike 2008-07-22 01:07 PM

Oh a lap of in-car for those of you with the time to watch it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzoPYtHq094

Click on "watch in high quality" if you have the option

Mike

MPREZIV 2008-07-22 01:43 PM

HOLY SHIT MAN! That car is the greatest thing EVAR!!!

Kudos to the great showing guys!

sperry 2008-07-22 02:28 PM

:mog:

170+ mph in an Impreza!?! :lol: Do you guys have to install a special seat for Gary to accommodate the giant balls he's sporting?

Nice job to everyone involved! 3 seconds ahead of the field, why do they even bother to show up? :lol:

GarySheehan 2008-07-22 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sperry (Post 121603)
Do you guys have to install a special seat for Gary to accommodate the giant balls he's sporting?

Nope, I wear a cool suit that recirculates ice water. Doesn't everyone know about shrinkage?

Gary
Sheehan Motor Racing
www.garysheehan.com

sperry 2008-07-22 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GarySheehan (Post 121608)
Nope, I wear a cool suit that recirculates ice water. Doesn't everyone know about shrinkage?

Gary
Sheehan Motor Racing
www.garysheehan.com

:lol:

Touche.

MattR 2008-07-22 04:35 PM

Unreal... Awesome job.

van 2008-07-22 07:19 PM

amazing as always, great driving and great car.
I'm happy to see these video's with a better quality on youtube, I would love to see some hidef in car footage on Vimeo though:) Congrats on the sweep!

Dean 2008-07-23 05:47 AM

Great news... Congratulations to the whole team.

So, is there a streetable/trackable version of that engine for us weekend warriors good for 100K miles or so at <$5000? ;)

MattR 2008-07-23 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean (Post 121621)

So, is there a streetable/trackable version of that engine for us weekend warriors good for 100K miles or so at <$5000? ;)

+1

GarySheehan 2008-07-23 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by van (Post 121612)
amazing as always, great driving and great car.
I'm happy to see these video's with a better quality on youtube, I would love to see some hidef in car footage on Vimeo though:) Congrats on the sweep!

I'll get a video up on my Brightcove channel when I get the original avi from Mike.

Gary
Sheehan Motor Racing
www.garysheehan.com

sperry 2008-07-23 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean (Post 121621)

There is. It's called a "stock STi motor" and it makes about 300hp. I believe you already have one in your car. ;)

JonnydaJibba 2008-07-23 10:34 AM

Man that's intense. I'd like to say something like that just goes to show that L's can do cool things too, but that car is hardly an L anymore. Awesome work.

GarySheehan 2008-07-23 03:18 PM

Event coverage on RiceBoyTV.com

http://www.riceboytv.com/index.php?i...7232008&arch=1
Click on "Video"

Gary
Sheehan Motor Racing
www.garysheehan.com

sperry 2008-07-23 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GarySheehan (Post 121642)
Event coverage on RiceBoyTV.com

http://www.riceboytv.com/index.php?i...7232008&arch=1
Click on "Video"

Gary
Sheehan Motor Racing
www.garysheehan.com

Nice event summary.

I'm still utterly impressed that you guys got that car up over 170mph... with the aerodynamics of a hamburger, that's some serious brute force! What's that car putting down to the wheels these days anyway? 500hp? :eek:

Dean 2008-07-23 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sperry (Post 121644)
Nice event summary.

I'm still utterly impressed that you guys got that car up over 170mph... with the aerodynamics of a hamburger, that's some serious brute force! What's that car putting down to the wheels these days anyway? 500hp? :eek:

I know it is an inverse square kind of thing, but my no aero almost stock ride height stage 2 STI did over 140 at Bonneville, so 170 isn't that surprising considering the lower less boxy 2 door body with aero and a $4!+ load of power and 8000RPM...

sperry 2008-07-23 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean (Post 121646)
I know it is an inverse square kind of thing, but my no aero almost stock ride height stage 2 STI did over 140 at Bonneville, so 170 isn't that surprising considering the lower less boxy 2 door body with aero and a $4!+ load of power and 8000RPM...

Watch the video again. It's not like the were out on the flats. That was on the race line, with massive aero drag from the big wing, and still accelerating when Gary ran out of straightaway.

Think of it this way: it takes 800hp to get a much slippier 3500 lb cup car to 200 mph. F1 cars only do about 200 as well on straights not much shorter than Fontana. 170 in what's basically a hot rodded salvage title grocery getter shows real creativity and homespun engineering. That L it basically runing with the likes of ALMS GT cars at like 1/3 the cost, if not less.

I'm impressed. I would have guessed the L would top out around 160 or 170 but not in race trim (ie big wing) and only on a 2 mile straight. That car is a rocket ship!

Double Phister 2008-07-24 07:28 AM

That car gets better looking everytime I see it. Early on it was pretty shady. Now it's hawt.

JC 2008-07-24 08:17 AM

Congrats guys!

Quote:

Originally Posted by GST Mike (Post 121596)
Fontana, CA, 08/21/08

So fast it races into the future!

GST Mike 2008-07-25 02:51 PM

According to Gary we may well have been able to top the car out (I estimate that to be around 183mph) as he was gaining confidence in the car and it's grip with each lap.

As for power estimates I would say we were at around 540whp on our dyno (I kind of pushed things beyond the tuned map for the final session).

Mike

MPREZIV 2008-07-25 04:54 PM

540whp... sweet lord.

Dean 2008-07-25 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GST Mike (Post 121758)
According to Gary we may well have been able to top the car out (I estimate that to be around 183mph) as he was gaining confidence in the car and it's grip with each lap.

As for power estimates I would say we were at around 540whp on our dyno (I kind of pushed things beyond the tuned map for the final session).

Mike

Told you Scott! > 500 WHP :P

Dewey 2008-07-26 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MPREZIV (Post 121598)
HOLY SHIT MAN! That car is the greatest thing EVAR!!!

Kudos to the great showing guys!

jealous much?