Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras

Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras (https://www.seccs.org/forums/index.php)
-   Technical Chat (https://www.seccs.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Cleaned MAF, idle problem (https://www.seccs.org/forums/showthread.php?t=6388)

ddub 2007-11-08 09:30 AM

Cleaned MAF, idle problem

Hi,
I just cleaned my Mass Air Flow sensor with MAF cleaner. Now the car sputters at idle as if it is not getting enough gass. The car drives fine, its just when you fully let off the gas, it has to catch its self. I tried cleaning the sensor again, but no luck. I also reset the ecu with my AP just after I cleaned the MAF. Does anyone have any idea's on what the problem may be? Should I drive it for a little while and see if the ECU can learn?

Thanks,
Dave

Kevin M 2007-11-08 09:58 AM

Check your IAC valve. Little solenoid doohicky on the throttle body.

knucklesplitter 2007-11-08 10:26 AM

If you reset the ECU (and especially if you have mods) the car may have to relearn the fuel trims.

ddub 2007-11-08 11:22 AM

How do you check the IAC valve, what do you look for? Just took a ride and got P0171 (system too lean). I checked all the hosed and made sure all the hose clamps are tight, so shouldn't be a vacuum leak. Before I cleaned the MAF, the car ran fine, although I did get the P0171 after I cleaned and reoiled my air filter. This is why I decided to clean the MAF. I don't know what to do? Could the MAF be messed up now?

Kevin M 2007-11-08 11:28 AM

The IAC wouldn't cause a lean condition, just a weird idle fluctuation. Sounds like you have a MAF issue after all.

sperry 2007-11-08 01:23 PM

Sounds like a leak in the intake after the MAF to me. Or you broke the MAF... but that's usually all or nothing... like you wouldn't even be starting the car.

ddub 2007-11-08 02:01 PM

I was suspicious of a leak, but cant seem to find any. I just took it for a short drive, idle is getting better, but still acting slightly funny. My vacuum pressure at idle is usually a little less than -.05Mpa. When I let off the gas, vacuum pressure would normally go to that position, but now it jumps up to -.03 and has to catch it's self before it goes back to normal. It acting like it's running lean. The weird thing is that it was idleing fine before I cleaned the MAF. There is a good write up on the code P0171:
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...ighlight=PO171
I checked the small vacuum hose that runs off the engine block, that is secure with a hose clamp. Maybe my O2 sensor is dirty, should I try cleaning that?

cody 2007-11-08 02:36 PM

Check and make sure the active base map is correct. If the map you've been running only existed as a real-time map, you'd revert to whatever basemap was on there. I'm just wondering if your running the stock map with mods or something.

Other than a bad/wrong map, it does sound like maybe a post-MAF, pre-turbo leak.

knucklesplitter 2007-11-08 03:03 PM

Yeah, sounds like air leak after MAF. Did the MAF o-ring tear? Is the afta-MAF hose on straight & tight? Did you happen to crack the turbo inlet hose while fooling around wiht stuff?

BTW is your intake stock?

ddub 2007-11-08 04:33 PM

I checked the MAF O-ring and found it to be frayed. Just bought a new o-ring and some silicone. I hope this works. I'll let you know

Thanks for the feed back.

ddub 2007-11-09 12:00 PM

Replacing the o-ring was not the problem, still idled like crap. So I put an extra hose clamp on the recirculating turbo inlet. I also decided to clean my O2 sensor. None of this fixed the problem. So I went to subaru and bought a new MAF sensor, praying that this would be the problem. He gave it to me at cost. This was not the problem either. Still idles like crap. I checked and double checked all the hose connections, but do not see any problems there. I'm stumped, it drives fine. Just the idle is having trouble. Where do I go from here?

sperry 2007-11-09 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddub (Post 109393)
Replacing the o-ring was not the problem, still idled like crap. So I put an extra hose clamp on the recirculating turbo inlet. I also decided to clean my O2 sensor. None of this fixed the problem. So I went to subaru and bought a new MAF sensor, praying that this would be the problem. He gave it to me at cost. This was not the problem either. Still idles like crap. I checked and double checked all the hose connections, but do not see any problems there. I'm stumped, it drives fine. Just the idle is having trouble. Where do I go from here?

Time to pressure test the intake.

MPREZIV 2007-11-09 12:17 PM

Get a can of carburetor cleaner, and spray around the intake/hoses/lines/gaskets on the intake side of the engine, while the motor's running. If your idle smooths out, or jumps up in rpms, there's your leak.

ddub 2007-11-09 02:53 PM

I would like to pressure test the system, but don't know how to go about that. I just took off my IC to check everything. Nothing was loose, but I had to make sure. Put everything back together, started her up, idle was sputering. Drove around, got home, idle was normal with no check engine light. Is everyone elses vacuum pressure during idle at or a little less than -.05MPa? I'm gonna let the engine cool down, then start it back up. hopefully its good, this is frustrating :furious:

ddub 2007-11-09 05:03 PM

Just ran it again, threw code P0171 again. What would have changed by cleaning the MAF sensor, even replacing it??? Has rough idle as if its misfiring or bogging down. I tried spaying some MAF sensor cleaner on the connections, didn't change anything.

dayofpain 2007-11-09 08:23 PM

i bet i can solve it...

what mods exactly are you running

ddub 2007-11-09 09:16 PM

mods:
-stg2 AP protune (a while ago)
-cated dp
-perrin up
-greddy exhaust
-gruppe-s headers
-perrin IC+inlet hoses
-Short ram intake
-NGK iriduim plugs

think thats it,
I had my buddy, who is a mechanic, check the hoses. Everything looks normal.
Maybe I should get it smoke tested/pressure tested? Anyone know a good place?
Why would it idle fine before I clean the MAF, then idle crappy after cleaning?

dayofpain 2007-11-09 09:18 PM

you have a BOV ?

i have had your problem a few different times.

so i been down that road before.

Dean 2007-11-09 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddub (Post 109422)
mods:
-stg2 AP protune (a while ago)
-cated dp
-perrin up
-greddy exhaust
-gruppe-s headers
-perrin IC+inlet hoses
-Short ram intake
-NGK iriduim plugs

think thats it,
I had my buddy, who is a mechanic, check the hoses. Everything looks normal.
Maybe I should get it smoke tested/pressure tested? Anyone know a good place?
Why would it idle fine before I clean the MAF, then idle crappy after cleaning?

As everyone has already said, you likely have un-metered air coming into the system after the MAF.

And while you think it is running fine on throttle, it is likely running lean which is not good. and the poor ecu is constantly trying to adjust fuel to compensate. I would stay out of open loop or you may hurt something.

Have you followed Cory's recommendation in how to find a leak? You likely loosened or cracked something or pulled a vacuum hose when cleaning the MAF.

But why were you cleaning the MAF? You must have had something wrong beforehand to cause you to do that.

Do you have all the mods when you were tuned? If not, that is likely the issue possibly combined with a leak of some form.

Try putting the stock intake back on.

ddub 2007-11-10 09:41 AM

I do not have a BOV. The reason why I wanted to clean my MAF was because every so often I would get the P0171 at low load. I read up and it said this could happen from haveing a Oil filter. I recently oiled my filter, then got the code P0171, so I decided to clean my MAF sensor. Now its not running well. I agree, there is most likely a leak, but I just can't find it. I had my car tuned with all the mods that are on it. I don't see how I could have cracked a tube by taking off the MAF. There are only two screws on it and a didn't pull or put any pressure on the tubing. I'm scared to drive my car now. Where is a good place to take my car to get tested?

dayofpain 2007-11-10 04:25 PM

if you want to you can come to my house and ill poke around for some of the things i have seen that happen commonly.

ddub 2007-11-10 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dayofpain (Post 109455)
if you want to you can come to my house and ill poke around for some of the things i have seen that happen commonly.

That would be very nice of you. I'll be at work until 6:30. When would be a good time for you?

dayofpain 2007-11-10 05:04 PM

w/e ill msg you my phone numba.

i have flood light so we can do it tonight, i can also pull my car out of the garage and pull yoursin W/e need to do

ddub 2007-11-12 04:59 PM

So I took my car into C and C today. They looked at everything, smoke tested with no leaks in the intake, fuel pressure is fine, MAF is fine, O2 is fine... Then they found a small crack in my header, which dayofpain suggested when he looked at my car, but we didn't see anything. This would make sense because the O2 senser was seeing less exhaust trying to lean the A/F mixture (i think). Soooo, i'm gonna put my stock header back on Wednesday and pray that this will work..

Thanks for the suggestions everyone and for looking at my car dayofpain. I will let you know if this works.

dayofpain 2007-11-12 05:07 PM

well im glad i helped. i really wish i could have taken a better look at your header. but the combination of my jack. the lack of stands and a really hot header inches from my face didnt make for the best i had.

wish i would have caught that when u were here.