View Single Post
Old 2004-01-15, 03:05 PM   #3
AtomicLabMonkey
Nightwalker

Car: '13 WRX

YGBSM

I'm gonna have to call B.S. on this one.

Quote:
when your tires lose contact with the pavement - your car will accelerate to a higher rate of speed and take off like an airplane.
Holy physics-defying riddles, Batman!

If your drive wheels begin to hydroplane on standing water they have slightly over zero traction, so how are they going to accelerate you to a higher speed? Not to mention, "take off like an airplane"? Umm, no. As far as I know most cars don't have a set of fold-out wings, so they're not going to be departing the ground unless you drive it off a cliff. A cruise control usually takes its cue from the vehicle speed sensor (VSS); again, if your drive wheels hydroplane the drive wheels will start turning faster than they should be, which the VSS will read as an increased speed - I would think this would cause the cruise control to actually cut back the throttle to try to meet its target speed. I would guess what might happen is the system could be slower to respond to changing traction levels than you as the driver are, so if you hit a slick spot it might lag behind and keep applying constant throttle even as the tires are starting to spin and the vehicle is rotating into a spin.