View Single Post
Old 2007-10-17, 01:43 PM   #21
Nick Koan
JDM Cowboy

Car: 2015 Mazda 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody View Post
Well, I'm impressed. Sure it's too expensive for 99% of us, but it's got all the goods of a super-car at half the price plus it's daily drivable and even has a backseat and a nice trunk. I think it may take some business away from the Audi R8 anyway (another drool worthy car). Why didn't they call it an Infinity Skyline? Wouldn't that have made them more marketable?
I remember reading a release saying it was basically the Gran Trurismo generation that caused them to call it a Nissan instead of Infiniti.

As to why they didn't call it the Skyline? Well, the Skyline is much like the Camry or every other boring car in Japan, except that it came in flavors ranging super boring all the way up to borderline-supercar with the GT-R trim. I guess by not calling it the Skyline they are saying, "Look, this is a supercar and only a supercar. There will be no <2.0L 2WD econobox model" The JDM Skyline will get to keep on selling like it has with its current trim(s), and the GT-R will get to be the supercar that it has always wanted to be.