Old 2007-11-20, 10:47 AM   #75
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinr View Post
Atomic you sound a little bitter man... just because you can't afford one doesn't mean it's a steaming pile of poop. Have you ever driven anything exotic? Your idea of a perfect sports car is of the strictest since of the term; you think it means that priority needs to be put on making the car as light as possible with as much HP and Torque available as possible.

<snip>
I think you missed the part where AtomicLabMonkey designed race cars.

To him anything more than this:

Is just unnecessary weight. And he's got a point. Sure that Ferrari "with no mods, [has] what a maxed out tuner car can only hope to have as far as performance". But so what? If you're coming even close to that car's ability on the street, you're an idiot that doesn't deserve a car like that. If you're taking it to the track, you're still slower than real race cars.

So, like ALM says, supercars like the GT-R are in fact overkill and useless vehicles. They are the exact same thing as a Hummer on 24" wheels. They are simply show-off cars. No doubt they're nice... I'd love to own a Ferrari, but I can go just as fast at the race track in a purpose built racer, and drive around in a new Lexus that's nicer, all for 1/10th the cost of a Modena. The Ferrari, the GTR, even the Z06... they're all excessive. Not steaming piles... but definitely wastes of money, unless you've got truckloads of disposable income (or an idiot that wants to look like they do).