View Single Post
Old 2008-04-11, 07:02 PM   #18
knucklesplitter
EJ205

Wish in one hand and sh*t in the other...

I have a somewhat funny show-up-to-court story...

I got a speeding ticket in some small South Carolina town (I forget the name, Chester maybe). It was for 15mph over = 4 pts. so it was a big fine and a bigger hit on insurance. I decided to try to get it reduced. So I got dressed up a little, took off work, and drove the 1/2 hour to the court date.

So I get there and there are like 100+ people milling around the big waiting room outside the courtroom. I luck into a seat... but it was next to some old guy who smelled like whiskey and feet, had on holey jeans, hadn't washed his hair in gawd-knows, and had muddy boots on. He literally asked me, "What'er ya' in fur?". I told him it was just a speeding ticket, and he informed me that he got served a warrant for various... things. I was thinking, "Holy shit, your going in front of a judge drunk (at 9am) and looking like that?!?!?!". Also was wondering how all this was gonna go down in front of a judge and all.

So... about 5 minutes before the scheduled court time a guy comes out into the middle of the waiting room and loudly speaks, "Anybody who's here for a 4-point ticket who wants to plead to a 2-point violation please see the lady at the window and pay your $80!" Then almost the whole waiting room furiously converges on the "ticket window". I was about 15 minutes back.

Well. it prolly saved me $1000 on insurance in SC...
knucklesplitter is offline   Reply With Quote