View Single Post
Old 2009-01-16, 07:12 PM   #8
Dean
Seņor Cheap Bastarde

Car: $.04 STI
Class: Fast,Cheap & Reliable=STI

Deal, did somebody say Deal? Oh, Dean, yeah that's me.

Ran the old motor on very similar tune at sea level all the time. Tank was full. Oil in the breathers is a possibility but never was a problem on the old motor. Don't know what AFRs were that second. AFRs at WOT had been good, low 11s, high 10s. EGT close to or pegging the meter at 1600 which is the way the old engine ran and typical as I understand when running that rich as fuel is still burning as the exhaust valve opens.

Mid map WG cycles were probably OK as that part of the map is the oversafe Cobb stage 2 and the logging I had done had that portion of the range was plus or minus a very small percent of targets, but that was at altitude. The Duty cycle issue was on the high end where they were not stage 2 data.

I need to plug in and see what the multiplier is/was when it died. And nothing says the damage happened mid throttle, that is just where it failed. At minimum, this means more sea level tuning before track days. And damn, I need a way to mount my laptop to log on-track.

Are you running ball/spring in addition to the solenoid? I wonder if that would be a good safety valve? I have one sitting in the other room.

I need a catch can setup for the next iteration and definitely hose clamps on breather hoses. The oil mess was real bad and just an insult to go on top of the injury. Cleaned much up there, but I am sure I will find more after I pull this motor and there were a few drips in the trailer. it was everywhere on top and down the passenger side of the compartment.