Old 2009-03-30, 03:03 PM   #23
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin M View Post
If you still owe on the car, usually the insurance company will not give you the check. They will reimburse you or pay the shop directly though. If you have it paid off, they will cut you the check for their repair estimate.
Actually, if you're not at fault and you're getting paid by the other party's ins. company, I bet you can get them to cut you a check by calling them up and being a squeaky wheel. The last thing the other ins. company wants is you suing their customer over their bad driving... they usually really want the issue settled as painlessly as possible.

However, if the claim is going through your own ins. company, I would guess it'll be harder to get them to play ball... but I don't see how it has anything to do w/ having a lien on the car or not. I doubt the ins. company cares if you or the bank owns the car. I do see how the bank might care that you're not properly repairing their collateral and pocketing the cash... but I would think that would be a clause in the loan on the car or something and not specific to the insurance company's policy.