View Single Post
Old 2009-04-27, 01:39 PM   #39
Dean
Seņor Cheap Bastarde

Car: $.04 STI
Class: Fast,Cheap & Reliable=STI

Deal, did somebody say Deal? Oh, Dean, yeah that's me.

M+S has nothing to do with actual cold performance, it is a set of DOT design criteria that has no real world correlation to actual performance. That is why the mountain/snowflake thing was created by the industry to identify tires that actually work in snow/ice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manufacturer
The Exclaim UHP is General Tire's Ultra High Performance Summer tire that was developed for the drivers of sports cars, coupes and sedans. While meeting minimum tread design standards to be "M+S" branded, the Exclaim UHP is designed to provide high levels of traction, response and control in dry conditions, along with superior hydroplaning resistance in wet conditions. We do not suggest Exclaim UHP tires be driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice.
For a tire allegedly designed for the wet, they suck at it relatively speaking according to the test results. They are better in the wet than your ES100s, but got dominated by them in the dry and the SPTs which are the common reference tire for the ZRi crushed them across the board.

You drive in the dry 90+% of the time and they are substantially worse than your ES100s. That should be your answer right there!

Again, I have no first hand experience with anything but the SPTs. I am only looking at data and making relative comparisons. YMMV, NWEOI.

Want to put my SPTs on your car for a couple days? The data says they are fairly similar to the ZRi.

No thanks, looking for a 225/45/17 spare or two.

Last edited by Dean; 2009-04-27 at 01:43 PM.
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote