View Single Post
Old 2010-06-25, 09:44 PM   #181
Highdesertsuby
EJ22

Car: 1997 Subaru Impreza L
Class: n/a

This is going to take crackerjack timing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin M View Post
What I find irresponsible is the insistence by people that the Bible is infallible despite the overwhelming evidence that mankind is anything but. More importantly, your God can happily coexist with what the vast majority of what science currently believes to be true regarding the age of the universe and the processes that led from whatever the very beginning was, to where we are now. Very little of what I view as good science can coexist with what the Bible says. Nothing in modern-day science indicates that there is not, cannot be, or even probably is no infallible, omnipotent God. Trying to make empirical research fit your conclusions is most definitely irresponsible.
Well I personally don't have any issues with anyone who chooses to go along with the majority of people in the world and believe that evolution actually works, despite the fact that no actual evidence exists to support it (by the way, just because the majority of people believe in something does not make it right). What I do have an issue with is what damage does my believing in a literal understanding of Genesis do to the rest of the planet? How does that affect you personally, or the guy down the street, or to the people in charge? It is my opinion, my beliefs and they are just as valid as anyone elses. So I'm just not getting where the whole "irresponsible" thing comes from. The major point I have been trying to make here is that an evolutionary viewpoint is just ONE possible way to "interpret" the data, and the theory has so many holes in it that it could never be considered as anything BUT a theory...despite the continued claims that evolution is a "settled fact".

Creation is another theory (also not a proven fact) that actually fits the available data quite well, and is an option that people should consider, instead of just discarding out of hand because it has a supernatural force as it's instigator. Neither creation OR evolution can be proven...both require faith to believe the parts that no one was around to observe.