Old 2010-09-15, 03:46 PM   #4
rory_a
EJ251

Car: Miata, shit.
Class: Out Classed

NOW WITH 100% LESS STI!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry View Post
Victoracers are decent tires... though I guess the v710's are a bit better for autocross. The problem is, they're 3 years old. I'm sure they're safe, but they're probably going to be less sticky than a new set of street tires. Plus, without any tread, they're going to suck at Stead's currently gravely surface. I'd say they're best used at at the race track... a cheap way to get some (brief) R-compound fun at RFR.

Also, most people tend to get like 80-90% of a season on a set of r-compounds. So you end up just short of a full season on tires. But Reno has a street tire modifier and a poor surface at Stead making the cost of r-comps pretty wasteful. Especially when street tires are setting faster raw times than r-comps. To put it more plainly, just get some good summer tires and some good winter tires... the summers will last you the whole season of autocross, plus all the daily driving in between, maybe even for 2 years; the winters will perform better in the off-season than all-season tires will.

That response is so full of win! Thanks for breaking that down in the exact words I needed.

(and I neglected to think of the street tire modifier, regardless of daily driving - was thinking of getting some 18s for the street)

I'll likely replace the RE070s when they're toast with some Star Specs, and stick with the 225 size as that's what fits in Street Prepared from my understanding. And, the wagon will like the smaller tread width.

Last edited by rory_a; 2010-09-15 at 03:49 PM.
rory_a is offline   Reply With Quote