Old 2012-11-29, 03:08 PM   #184
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by rory_a View Post
I might have to take you up on that Scott - pretty sure the current struts are the originals. It's a boat of a car right now. What are you looking to get out of them? The seller (middle aged lady) has some different springs for it, not sure what they are. I also saw the rear sway is red. Didn't get up close and personal to check what it was.

Much investigation to do this weekend.
Well, non-stock springs are illegal in stock class. But you can replace the shocks, which is why most people go with something adjustable and relatively stiff. The Koni Yellows and the Bilstiens are pretty popular specifically for stock autocross.

My yellows have about 1000 miles on them (according to the previous owner). I put coilovers on the car right after I bought it because the stock springs are too soft for RFR. The struts have remained assembled in a box since they came off the car. Should be super easy to bolt on, no spring compressor needed, if you follow the miata.net instructions (or just have Cory do it, like I did ).

Looks like the Koni's sell for about $650 new. Plus they've got the excellent FCM bumpstops that run $100 (46mm specifically made for the Koni's, if you're on the original factory bump stops, replacing them is critical for handling). And everything's pre-assembled with the stock '96 springs, whatever stock springs are selling for. So, how about an even $500?

Oh, and in stock class, you can change either the front or the rear swaybar, but not both... but deciding which one on a Miata is a huge argument. I'd suggest leaving that rear bar on the car and seeing if you like it... then decide where to go from there. But check to make sure there isn't a front bar on there also already... most people upgrade the front bar before the rear bar, so you might have a pair of the FM sways or something that would bump you out of stock class. For reference: I'm running the FCM Elite custom non-adjustable coilovers and a giant RacingBeat hollow front bar, with the stock rear bar. And I *love* it. But, if you're on a budget, $1800 coilovers are a little ridiculous on a ~$2000 car.