View Single Post
Old 2003-07-23, 08:34 AM   #13
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Okay, more ideas:

Hold the Show-n-Shine it at the Hawthorne autocross, Sept 20/21.

Perhaps Friday night (9/19)... but if it's during course setup, that's dis-includes the people working on the course from participating. Plus, not everyone that will be racing will be down there on Friday (I know Matt and Tyson were thinking about driving down early Saturday to avoid the cost of a hotel for two nights).

If we do it Saturday night, we'll have a big captive audience, and I'm sure lots will be interested in BBQing at the track after the event (that's what they did at Atwater). I guess the only issue is when does the airport close and lock us in.... i.e. can we BBQ utill 9pm and still get to our hotels?

As far as the "rules" for the show-n-shine, here's what I was thinking:

- approx 20 entries
- entered car must be raced in some way (we're looking for the best looking race car, not show cars, you know "come with your numbers on!") <- if we think we can get significant non-SCCA entrants, then we may want to drop this rule, but for now I'm assuming this will be all SCCA cars.
- peer judging: spectators will fill out ballots picking their 3 favorite cars, car with the most votes wins.
- prizes: we need hats for say the top 4 or 5 "finalists" and t-shirts for all the participants
- entry fee: $15?, hopefully enough to cover the cost of t-shirts, hats and possibly a small cash prize for 1st place? <- if we can figure out a way to make this totally free, and still give out some schwag, that would be awesome.... can/would SCCA be willing to fund this?

Speaking of funding, how are we going to fund the cost of the BBQ? BYOM/B (bring your own meet/beer)? Charge people? If we're charging people, do we BBQ ourselves, or hire a catering service? What about having to haul all the supplies down to Hawthorne, or is there a Costco or something there we can tap for BBQ resources? I've never done the whole BBQ thing for a big group before. Who ran the Boreal BBQ in past years for SCCA?

We'll also need to find a printer for T-Shirts and Hats... so if you have a contact, post 'em here, or PM me.