Old 2006-09-27, 01:25 PM   #19
M3n2c3
EJ205

Car: 2005 Impreza 2.5RS, 2000 Forester L
Class: RNP sometimes (see motto)

"Kids are ruining autocross."

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry
Explain this to me. If '05 STi topmounts fit on my '02 w/o a problem, and '03 topmounts are what's needed, and '02 and '03 are *identicle*, why won't the '05 STi topmounts fit?

If the '05 STi topmounts won't work, then *nothing* from a GD body will work, and attempting to use '03 springs is a waste of time.
It's not necessarily the bolt pattern at the top of the mount that's an issue (although that could be another problem altogether). The difference I'm discussing is in the way the springs taper at the top (meaning they fit up to the mount differently), and the way the struts bolt to the mount. For example, 02/03 struts will not bolt correctly to 04/05 mounts - there is a difference in size at the top of the strut that - while it may allow you to attach the strut - will cause the fitment to be loose, clunky, and eventually wear the topmount out oddly.

See the little shoulder just under the threaded portion. That's the problem. I don't know if GC/GM struts will have the same issue, but I'd say chances are good.

Again, I really think the point is moot anyway, as GD springs are intended for a different chassis that's 500lbs heavier. There's an insignificant amount of money to be saved when compared to the potential problems.