Thread: This Anybody?
View Single Post
Old 2005-12-11, 06:08 PM   #21
DARKSTI
EJ22

Car: '07 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

It's not that I'm lazy, It's that I don't care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicLabMonkey
I work designing parts for 5.0 Mustangs every day. Trust me - they are not a well engineered platform to work with. Yes, you can find them cheap. But no matter how many suspension mods you throw at it, if will always still be a 1978 Fairmont at heart. It will still have a higher C.G. than a Porsche or a Vette, still have a poor weight distribution, still have a McStrut up front, and still have a beam axle in the back. Where are you going to end up road racing? SCCA-AS? NASA-AI? You still need at least 100hp more than the OE engine to be competitive, and that's only if you've stripped a hell of a lot of weight out of the car. Finding that kind of N/A power out of a Ford 302 is certainly possible, but usually finicky and unreliable. From my experience both personally owning one, and working with them professionally, I'd advise you to stay away.

But if you still want one after that, I can tell you where to go to get the best parts for it.
I have a friend who races at RFR and other places in amature classes. He uses a 95 GT...all he did was strip the interior..put on some slicks and run a free flowing exhaust, he usually places in the top 5.

There is actually a few places that make great track cars:
Steeda
Maximum Motorsports
Saleen
etc

edit: i would just do what i could afford to do...but like i said it wil be a few years..and i may actually get a used '01/'99 cobra like i used to have.
DARKSTI is offline   Reply With Quote