Old 2012-01-22, 09:17 PM   #4
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRX06TR View Post
I don't think anybody makes a TD05 anymore, at least Blouch doesn't and they are the brand I'd like to stick with. They do make a TD05 18G but I don't feel like an 18G is a worthwhile upgrade.
No, an 18G probably wouldn't be worth an upgrade over the stock turbo on an STi.

I've been out of the loop for a while now (since I got my GT52 a while back), so I don't really know what's out there. But I'm just suggesting that you don't buy into the idea that you have to go big or you're wasting your money. Figure out what you want out of the car, then focus on finding a turbo that meets that requirement.

For example, MikeK and I both put GT52's on our cars. But he was trying to autocross, I was running time trials. Mike's now ditched his and is running a TD05-20G, because even though on paper a GT52 on 100 octane looks like it's not all that laggy, a smaller turbo just drives so much better in the lower gears. And frankly, driving around town is a lot more like autocross than time trials at RFR... what you give up in top-end hp, you more than make up for it in responsiveness, area under the curve, and with the fun of having a car with gobs of low-end torque for zipping from stop-lights and up freeway on-ramps.