View Single Post
Old 2012-03-30, 03:38 PM   #2
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

The RE11 is the replacement for the RE01Rs. Expensive, but supposedly just as good.

The bang-for-buck tire is still the Dunlop Z1 StarSpec. I think the only reason they seem so good is because they run like an inch wider than the number on the sidewall indicates. I just got 255's for the WRX and they're literally an inch wider than the 255 Azenis RT-615's that were on there... they're even .5" wider than the Michelin SportCup R-comps I have for the WRX... and that tire was retarded wide. So yeah, they seem great, but it might be a factor of the 255 StarSpec actually being the same size as a 275 RE11.

Either way, the Dunlops are relatively cheap, and pretty sticky. Though I'm still waiting on Cory and the crew to get my wheels, spacers, and fenders in order to try them out on the WRX. I've also got a set of 205 StarSpecs on the Miata, but I haven't been able to drive the Miata in anger yet either... the front suspension is too low and the tires rub the fenders well before I can get the car to the limit.