View Single Post
Old 2004-01-16, 06:39 AM   #11
JC
Ask me about dubs!

Car: 2013 Triumph Speed Triple R

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicLabMonkey
Actually I don't think even this scenario is very realistic, for a couple reasons. If the front drive wheels hit a puddle and lose traction, shouldn't they start spinning faster than the rears which still have traction? Assuming the front wheels are dominating the center diff. and driving the VSS, it would cause the cruise to reduce throttle to control the rising speed input.

Second, even if you assume the original scenario above is plausible, if you're going 65mph that translates out to 1144 inches/second. Take an average wheelbase of 100 inches, and that means it only takes 0.0874 seconds to travel the distance of the wheelbase at that speed. That's well within the response time of a computer, but I don't think the entire electro-mechanical system that constitues a cruise control is going to have a response time near that, let alone have time to accelerate the car any meaningful amount before the rear tires also hit the puddle, which leaves you with no tires with any traction, and no possible acceleration.
If you hit a long puddle the car would slow down from the increased resistance especially if it's deep. The cruise control would certainly apply more gas to try to get the car to accelerate. Like you said the cruise doesn't react very fast. When you get out of the puddle, the gas is still down but all of sudden you don't have the resistance of the puddle. Off goes your car. The cop may have been a bit dramatic, but the scenario is possible.

JC
My cruise doesn't work.