The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody
Your a god damn Jedi.
Actually the more I watch that lap, the more time I think there is to make up:

T1: Could be closer to the wall (driver's left) to shorten the length of the track. (Worth maybe .05s)

T2: Could have carried a touch more speed, since I didn't need all of the run-out. (Another +.05s.)

T3: Same as T2, there's more room on the exit than I used, so I must not have been going fast enough. (+.05s)

T4: Turned in too early, missed the apex. (+.1s)

T5: Took it flat out, no real mistakes, I just didn't line-in to T6 correctly. (+0s)

T6 (the carrosel): Off line on entry (enterance is actually mid track according to Skimonkey who used to work at the track and has a *ton* of miles there). I also apexed too early, and didn't get close enough to the curb. The correct line is to come off 5 mid track, then trail brake down the hill, apexing right at the start of the curb on the left, then washing out all the way to the exit. Doing it right would make a huge difference since it leads to a long straight. (+.3s)

T7 (1st hairpin): I blew the braking point, and was way hot into the corner, missing the apex. This should be an early apex, followed by a late apex into the esses. At least I got my exit pretty good, so I didn't give up too much leading into the esses that are taken flat out so they're really like a long straight, making T7 very important... maybe the most important corner on the track. (+.2s)

Pre-esses (not numbered): I did pretty well over the curbs. It's flat out, and you cut as much as is "legal" (two tires on track) to straighten it out. You can cut the split curbs a lot more than I did, but it's risky... sometimes the car stays flat, other times you get unsettled a lot and lose time. Since I had a good lap going I too the lower risk of not cutting too much. The whole goal is to come off the split curbs to T8 at the right angle so you can flat foot it through 8 and 8a. (+.05s)

T8, T8a (the esses): I cut over 8 pretty well, sometimes the car bottoms out as you com off the curb, and it makes the turn in to 8a skittish. You sorta just have to get lucky. I waited just a millisecond too long to turn in to 8a, missing the curb. Also, I must have scrubbed too much speed in 8 because the car wasn't moving fast enough to need all the washout on 8a. When done right, you should squarely drive over both the curbs in 8a, then carry all that speed through T9. (+.2s)

T9: This is still flat-out through here. I'm not totally sure what line is fastest. Sometimes I stay right to get a better line in to T10, but I feel like I'm having to cover an awful lot more distance, so I sorta started just driving down the middle of the road. There's probably not much time to be made here, you either got it right already or you didn't. However, setting up for the T10 right hand sweeper is very important. (+.05s)

T10: I was late turning in. When done right, you drive over the curb on an early apex. But if you're too early, you end up in the tires on the corner's exit, and if you're too late, the car won't ever get to the curb (kinda like in my lap). If you nail it the car can stay at about 6200 rpm through the turn, and you'll get a *huge* run down to the final hairpin. This corner makes and breaks my laps all the time. I've been .5s up on my ghost lap, then just barely miss this turn and lose it all. One trick to getting this right is to give the car a tiny left foot brake tap as you turn in to help the front end bite. I'm actually pretty violent on my turn in as well, since I'm trying to get the rear to rotate a little so I won't have to lift to avoid the dirt on the exit. (+.2s)

T11 (second hairpin): I think the fastest way to make this turn is in 3rd gear. A traditional out-in-out line should be fastest, and you need to use every bit of track available. Keeping the car in 3rd is hard, because if you slow too much it boggs. Since I knew I had a good lap going, I went for the safer 2nd gear turn. I also turned in a tiny bit too early, but was also going a touch too fast so was still able to make a good exit. (+.1s)

T12: Just like T1, I could have hugged the wall a little bit more. IMO if you stick to the dark "line" on the track, you're just driving too far. You can hug the wall all the way from the exit of 11 and go straight off 12 heading for the S/F line. (+.05s)

So anyway, by my count there's about 1.35s out there to pick up. The only problem is that a perfect lap is impossible. The goal is just to know where you want to put the car and just drive enough laps. Eventually you get every corner pretty close to perfect all in one lap. Just guessing I think I probably ran about 100 to 120 laps over 3 days to finally put this one together. And in another 100 laps I'll probably get another one this good, 'cept maybe I'll fix T6, T7 and T8a, and get into the 1'21"s. But for now, I'm tired of Sears Point, so I'm gonna stop running laps unless one of you guys beats my time before the challenge ends.