Old 2008-07-17, 12:14 PM   #14
ScottyS
EJ205

Car: 1998 Impreza Wagon, 1991 Legacy Turbo Sedan, 2003 Nissan Xterra
Class: tvFree

Yes, I'll fix it for you. Again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry View Post
As long as the stock up-pipe is of similar size, and is in decent condition, I'd use it rather than a catted WRX pipe.
I think I will do this, the ID is identical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry View Post
Sounds like the compression on the motor may be down. If you've got the time and money, it might be prudent to pull the motor apart, hone the cylinders, slap on some new rings, and do the head gaskets while you're at it. The 22T block is a terrific block, but even it wears out with mileage. Get the compression and leak-down checked to at least see where you're at.

Or alternatively, a proper pair of catch cans will help keep the intake clean even with the blow-by of loose rings... allowing you to run the motor cleanly without spending the cash on a rebuild.
I was planning on turning my attention to the motor after getting the immediate problems rectified. The timing covers need replacement anyway. It seemed to run well enough to commute with for a while, so as long as the oil in the intake does not harm anything (turbo, TMIC ?) I will run as-is for a bit.

If there is a danger with the blow-by, then I will look into the catch can thing.