Old 2012-10-08, 09:34 PM   #13
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey View Post
I definitely cannot risk bricking the ECU, I simply cannot afford to replace the ECU, immobilizer, and key.

The problem that I am running into is that the car just doesn't run right, I have checked multiple times that I have installed everything in the engine bay correctly, but there is a slight possibility that I hooked something up wrong.

If the ECU is locked with an EcuTek map, what would I have to do to get it back to factory? Scott, would you be able to help?

Thanks!
Well, there's not much I can help with... I was just in a similar situation. Look familiar?

http://www.seccs.org/forums/showthread.php?p=144190

Here's what Heather told me after the fact:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Heatha
Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Heatha
Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry
Any luck getting that ECU to flash?

I did a little reading online about it, and it sounds like the ECU may be locked out since I wasn't able to read from it, but that also could have just been an issue w/ my car since the battery was flat and the ECU interface is very voltage sensitive for some reason.

If the ECU is locked out, the first option is to borrow a Cobb Access Port, then you can marry it to the ECU, and unmarry it and the ECU will be totally reverted back to the OEM maps. So that's one option.

The other is to find someone that tunes EcuTek and they should be able to revert it for free... but I'm not sure if there's anyone left that tunes EcuTek. Paul at DBTuned down in Sacramento might have been able to do it, but I'm not so sure anymore... however he's probably got an AP lying around that will fix it too.

One final option is that some guy at NASIOC said there's an easier way to fix it, but he wouldn't mention it publicly. I PM'd him about it, so we'll see if he gets back to me. Right now, finding an AP to borrow would probably be the easiest way to get up and running.

--Scott
Well, we actually got it to work. But good thing to know in the future about the AP. I have one lying around somewhere, but i think the USB is broken on it. So, as of right now, so far so good. Im getting a wideband so we can data-log it. I'll let you know how it goes! Thank you so much!

Heather
That's awesome! Were you able just to overwrite the ECU directly? I'm really curious as to how you got it working.

--Scott
It wasn't working at first. After the first couple tries, it wouldn't do shit. But after a wee bit, it slowly started to communicate with the ECU. We hopped onto NASIOC to see what we could find. A guy posted that for some reason after 20+ times it worked. So we just sat there a played with it over and over again. After 20+ times, it worked! Oh, and you have to make sure that you have 12 or more volts. It would only work if I had my radio, lights, etc. off. So....yeah!

Heather
But keep in mind, all that was on an '02 ECU. No security immobilizer, 16bit, v1 tactrix cable and old version of RomRaider/OpenECU.

Last edited by sperry; 2012-10-08 at 09:37 PM.
sperry is offline   Reply With Quote