Old 2004-09-14, 11:56 AM   #24
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp00ln
WTF!? Are you serious!? This is why I hate DSM guys sometimes.

Do you know specific names? I know some of those guys down there and I'd love to give them shit
I don't know any of them personally.

All I remember was a few dyno days back, they were there, but stayed off to the side and didn't want to hang w/ the rest of the group... except to rev up and drive through the parking lot about 40 times an hour, making sure to sprint as loud and fast as they could between each speed bump.

Then when they get back from 7-11 for smokes or whatever, they make sure to park the car and set the turbo timer to 15 minutes and walk away, so the rest of us sitting there have to listen to their exhaust leak and smell their unburnt fuel as we're trying to eat BBQ.

Plus everyone of them was trying soooo much to look "hard"... I never understand that... you're at a BBQ/dyno day w/ like 30 people who are all laughing, joking, having a good time, bullshitting etc. Just come over and chill w/ the group instead of standing by your beat-ass car with your hands on your nuts and a frown on your face. If you're not going to have a good time, don't bother to come.

And then when they got on the dyno, it was this huge production just trying to get the cars to run long enough to drive the 100 ft up onto the dyno w/o fluid spills, unpainted body kits falling off, smoke and general beat-assedness. One DSM there would put down like 240 at the wheels, then the next run 120... WTH is that about!? I kept expecting a massive explosion when that car was on the dyno. It was all balls and no brains.

...it's shit like this that gives the DSM crowd such a bad reputation. Those cars can be built into beasts, but with all the cheap parts out there, it prompts people to build cheap cars, and prompts people that are otherwise broke-ass-trailer-trash types to get into the "tuner scene" and piss off the rest of us. I dread the coming days when WRXs will be available left and right as used cars, and the "budget" parts start coming out in earnest. Give it a few more years and the "WRX guys" will be far worse than the "DSM guys" ever were.