Old 2009-01-12, 10:02 AM   #28
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPREZIV View Post
SHIT! The best thing would have been to leave the TC in the trans... Too late now, but what you do is pull the little rubber plug behind the intake manifold, on the passenger side, and you can get to the 12mm nuts that hold the TC to the flex plate. Since there's a high possibility that you F'ed the trans input seal, I'd surely replace that before you go back together. The TC simply slides in to the trans, but you have to rotate it and push in at the same time, to get it to index all the way in to the trans oil pump. It's not hard, but you kinda have to know what you're doing to know if it's all the way in...
Yeah, I'm definitely replacing that oil seal... it's as old and worn out looking as the rest of the seals on the car... so even if I had left the TC on the tranny, I'd would want to pull it to replace that seal anyway since I've got the whole damn motor out.

Also, you guys should have seen the passenger side engine mount. I was able to just grab it and tear it in two. There was maybe 1/2" of material left holding it together! The rest had all sheared apart, and all the oil in it was gone. I'm putting some brand new WRX mounts back in there, I just need to fab up a 1/4" spacer to make sure the motor doesn't sit too low.