View Single Post
Old 2010-02-12, 07:54 AM   #25
Dean
Seņor Cheap Bastarde

Car: $.04 STI
Class: Fast,Cheap & Reliable=STI

Deal, did somebody say Deal? Oh, Dean, yeah that's me.

Talk to Reno Brake about it. They are far more knowledgeable than I am.

My thoughts:

With all new surfaces, there is no disc material on the metal of the FW or PP. You need to get the metal surfaces hot enough to take some material without overheating the organic disc.

The best way to heat the metal is slipping the clutch, the best way to cool/stabilize the disk temp after heating it is to leave it in contact with the large metal surfaces, but you don't want it to micro weld itself to the plates and leave uneven deposits.

So, what would I do?

Insert standard disclaimer here. You F up your car doing this, it is your own fault for not doing your own research and making your own choices.

Drive around for a few minutes to get wherever you are going to do this, shifting as smoothly as you can with low RPM minimal slip starts. Just warming things up a bit.

2 or 3 moderate slipping ~2000-2500 RPM launches. No clutch drop, but no smoke either. Don't stop and leave the clutch pedal down for any length of time between them. If you feel like you did 2 good ones don't do the 3rd, if 1 or 2 felt like the clutch grabbed earlier than you wanted, do #3.

Now drive, smoothly (minimal slip) up & down shifting 1st-3rd for a few minutes shifting every 15-20 seconds. This will allow the heat to soak into the metal, move the disc around the plates and keep them from sticking.

Do another 1-2 moderate slipping launches. Again, If you nail the first one, skip the second. These are the critical ones IMHO as they will lay down and smooth out the layer of pad material on the metal surfaces. Then do 10-15 minutes of minimal slip driving around, only now use gears 3-5/6 and get some speed and air moving and cool everything back down again shifting smoothly at least 2 times a minute to move the disc around.

Go about your business. It is going to take some time get all the volatiles out of the disc, so don't be afraid to slip it a little after driving for a bit to give it a little heat to help. This will also keep it from absorbing moisture and the dreaded "chatter/judder" organics are known for.

Never do 4000RPM slipping for 200+ foot clutch smoking launches, you will glaze everything and it will likely never be the same until you swap it.

Again, your mileage may vary, no warranties expressed or implied.