Old 2013-02-28, 12:49 PM   #63
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double_Rs View Post
Sweet, I want to do everything on this list http://www.subaru.com/content/downlo...006SchedCA.pdf, replace and perform everything listed for the 60k service, the works. It has everything the 90k service has but with some additions like the fuel filter and plugs from what I can see. This is the first "mod" I guess I want to do since the car is new to me.

I'm a little hesitant on using royal purple though. I haven't had personal experience with that brand during my honda days, but knew a few friends who ran it with their RSXs and complained that they were burning a lot of oil with that brand, then switched over to Mobil1 and said it improved as far as oil consumption (checking levels every week). I don't know if there's any technological explanation for this or they're just goons mashing on their vtec all day, but its prompted me to stick with the oil I've used anyways (Mobil1 full synthetic) ever since I got my integra. What are your thoughts on this? Keep in mind that I'm only using my rex for a DD so I might not even reach the temps to fully use the advantages of using Purple.
Run as fast and as far away from Mobile 1 as possible. It's well documented that since the formula change they made a few years back that turbo Subaru motors burn it easily and like to have bearing failures.

Royal Purple and Red Line are the top two recommended oils, with Rotella T6 a great oil at a cheaper price. If you're not racing the car (or beating on it more than normal), I'd just go with the Rotella. But I just use whatever KSpeed has in stock since I decided to stop doing my own oil changes and started supporting the shop with whatever work I can send their way.

Right now, I have (mostly) Royal Purple in my Outback XT, Red Line in my WRX track car, and Rotella in my Miata (the Rotella is the recommended oil people use to avoid the dreaded lifter tick that the HLAs generate).