View Single Post
Old 2006-05-25, 02:09 PM   #16
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Thanks for the info Ed.

I'm still missing the advantage to the MBC. I understand the response limitations of the stock EBC, but I guess I'm just not seeing them as actual limitations. What sort of response gain are you getting? On my 2.0L w/ stock turbo, I was making full boost before 3000 rpm, and had zero driveability/throttle response issues... how much more can you ask for?

Also, when I was running a MBC, back in the pre-reflash era, I was seeing spiking to 18psi, PTFB issues, no taper at redline, and tremendous swings in max boost due to weather. For example, the car would hold 17psi in the winter at our altitude with the MBC adjusted to it's lowest setting, I was forced to keep my foot out of the throttle just to prevent over boosting, and eventually just hooked the stock controller back up for the winter.

So, I understand that a MBC can be made to work well (though I would certainly get things tuned specifically for it), I just don't understand why anyone would replace a well designed OEM system with a $2 spring (and pay $170 for it). In my experience, the factory setup is far superior to a manual solution, even with the "limitations" inherent to the design.