View Single Post
Old 2003-09-16, 02:32 PM   #1
dknv
EJ207

Car: RX-8
Class: CS maybe
Default Back from Nationals

I got back on Saturday, and John & Patty got back yesterday. What a blast!!! I wish all of you could go because you would see 1000+ amazing vehicles, and you would have a chance to meet and visit with some of the best autocrossers in the nation, and you'd have seen some amazing setups.

Guess what - 2003's STX champion is 'KC' on nasioc, and is driving a wagon! It CAN be done!

thursday, day 1, was rainy, drizzly (John's run group), then overcast with wet pavement in heat 4 & part of heat 5 (Patty and me), then we had a downpour for our 3rd and last run. I wish I could get my hands on some pictures of that 3rd run group, because it was totally unbelievable -- we were driving a water-cross instead of an autocross, and it was literally a 'sea' of cones. Some cones began to float away! Many drivers in heat 5 gave up their 3rd runs -- or DNF'd because they simply were not able to stay on course, you could hardly see where the course was.

Now, there WAS an unfortunate incident in heat 4 which delayed our 5th heat - where 2 cars collided. I had never heard of this happening in an autocross before, so the situation was pretty shocking. If you want to hear more about it, ask me Thursday or this weekend.

Patty was 2nd in DSL, a very close .4 seconds behind the driver favored to win the class, a lady who races in Spec Miatas at home in Seattle (and drove a bmw 330i to victory here; her husband driving the same car, won DStock). I came in 3rd of 5, which I was happy with, driving faster than the other 2 ladies who have been to Nationals before. Patty & John's wrx was a blast to drive, it is really hooked up nicely, and while it was dry the Hoosiers had amazing grip. Next year - I might fall prey to the Hoosier-crack-pipe.
dknv is offline   Reply With Quote