View Single Post
Old 2004-02-11, 08:54 AM   #57
AtomicLabMonkey
Nightwalker

Car: '13 WRX

YGBSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean
IMHO you should not experience fade with performance pads during an autocross, and only slightly likely with stock pads. There just is not enough heat involved.
Atwater's nationals-sized courses are about the only place this would possibly be an issue for auto-x around here, and then probably only with stock pads, not good ones.

Quote:
Any performance brake system, stock to extreme requires a rebuild every year or so IMHO. This is just a reality of the temps we are talking about. Dust seals a re nice, but likely to get crisp and will likely need replacement as well, so I'm not sure they are a big deal on a performance system.
I've had the PBR calipers on my fronts for about 3 years now and they're still going fine without a rebuild; the dust seals baked off after a year or so, too and I haven't replaced them. I would guess that PBR's are probably one of the most rugged performance calipers out there though, since they're OEM equipment on Corvettes and (newer) Mustangs.

Quote:
Rotor diameter is what everybody talks about, but don't believe it. My Wilwoods are identical in diameter to stock, but much thicker and directional vaned and are incredible compared to stock in all respects. My Brembos which are bigger rotors and cross drilled do not stop as well as the Wilwoods. IMHO Thicker is better!
Agreed; I think it's mostly about how much iron mass is present in the rotor and consequently the more thermal storage capacity.. the more mass the better, to a certain extent, until you start getting into boat anchor territory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry
Cross drilled rotors are a waste of money IMO. The only benefit is slightly less weight (since out gassing is a non-factor). The drawbacks are faster pad wear, and rotors that are much more prone to cracking. Some people claim those holes help cool, and while I agree there's more surface area, I can't imaging they help a lot more than a well designed ventilation system would.
Cross-drilling is pretty much retarded, in my opinion. That's pretty apparent after looking in a mechanical design text and seeing the stress concentration factors they introduce all over the rotor. Even gas-slotting introduces stress concentration factors at the sharp interface between the slot and the rotor surface, but nowhere near as severe as drilling holes completely through the entire thing. These are obviously reliability & endurance issues that aren't a huge deal for something like a funded race team since they can just throw cracked parts away & get new ones frequently, but for one of us who's gonna want to install the brakes and not have to worry about them, it's better to just get plain rotors for maximum life (and minimum cost).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry
I've actually thought about pulling the fuse for the booster on autoX days, but I'm not 100% sure what that'll do to the system (or if it's even possible to kill the booster that way... it may be fully mechanical). Any ideas?
I've never taken one apart so I don't know for sure, but my guess is you'd probably have to pull the vacuum line (and cap the booster port & line).